Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my display won't keep the classic settings

• Please log in to reply

p5200

p5200

• Pip
  • 6 posts
In my display, I chose classic look instead of XP, none for screen saver, but when I restart pc it changes back to XP look and the XP Screen saver is back on again? I do make sure to click save, for my chosen settings. any help would sure be appreaciated! :)

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
This seems to be a problem with dozens of possible causes, but the one thing that should nail it is to disable the "Themes" service. This forces Windows to use the 'Classic' theme:

1. Start-->Run. Type SERVICES.MSC & click 'OK'

2. Scroll down to 'Themes' and double click that item.

3. Against 'Startup type', change this to 'Disabled'

4. Under 'Service status, click STOP

5. Now click 'OK' to save the changes.

Should you be worried about using this solution I can assure it will not harm Windows or your PC in any way.
You just need to remember that if you should want to use a different theme in the future, you'll first need
to change the 'Themes' service back to "Automatic" and click 'START' under 'Service status'.

Edited by phillip22, 29 October 2008 - 09:37 AM.