Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid boot.ini then USB failure

• Please log in to reply

kebabking

kebabking

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been previously answered. My forum searching skills are not good :)

Yesterday morning when I switched on my PC I noticed that during boot up it showed "Invalid boot.ini", but continued to boot into Windows. I am using XP. When it had booted I noticed immediately that the (USB) mouse was not working and also that my internet connection would not connect (also USB).

The USB keyboard still worked though, so I was able to use keyboard shortcuts etc to check the device manager. Everything appeared as normal in there. The USB wireless device was there with no errors, so must have been being detected.

I read on another forum about booting from the XP CD and using recovery console to run chkdsk and bootcfg. This didnt resolve the boot.ini problem or the USB issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? Could it be a HDD blip losing some data leading to the boot.ini problem AND maybe driver issues on the USB?

The PC generally has been a pain for a few months, I suspect intermittent mobo faults but currently cant afford to repair/replace the machine. Could this cause these issues?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm happy to try anything and answer any questions.

Advertisements