Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stumped After Motherboard Install

• Please log in to reply

schultzomerta

schultzomerta

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just replaced the motherboard in my e-machines T3828 desktop with a known good 845GV IBM board, IBM 02R4637, with P4 chipset. Now as soon as I plug in the cord to the PWR Supply the computer starts running, but no display is shown on the monitor. I figured I would have to adjust BIOS settings and use a recovery XP disk, but I can't even getting anything to appear on screen. I don't know why the computer automatically starts running as soon as it is plugged in either. Any Info would be greatly appreciated! Thank You In Advance!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Since it is an emachine my first guess is the power supply is bad especially if it is more than 8-10 months old... Hopefully you haven't destroyed the new board as the power supplies in emachines tend to take out motherboards...

good luck

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Since it is an emachine my first guess is the power supply is bad especially if it is more than 8-10 months old... Hopefully you haven't destroyed the new board as the power supplies in emachines tend to take out motherboards...

good luck

schultzomerta

schultzomerta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
before i had no power from motherboard, no fans....nothing. i put in new power supply and new motherboard. now everything powers up, just no display

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I suspect the power supply is bad or or pins shorted on the power connector that plugs in to tyhe board.
There are to pins you can touch together on the power connector of the power supply. You can do this to test the supply while it is out of the computer. That is why I suspect the supply or a bad cable. (neither one can be repaired.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A little slow this morning. Do you see anything on the display, such as the bootup?
Id the video on the main board, or a separate video card?

schultzomerta

schultzomerta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

A little slow this morning. Do you see anything on the display, such as the bootup?
Id the video on the main board, or a separate video card?

I have tested the power supply in a different emachines cpu and it works just fine.
I am getting NO display at all. As soon as the power cord is plugged in (once back in my machine) the MB kicks on without even hit the pwr switch, but no display or anything to get into bios.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Suspect the MB as now being bad.
The bios bootup (white lettering and black screen) come from the ram on the board.

schultzomerta

schultzomerta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Suspect the MB as now being bad.
The bios bootup (white lettering and black screen) come from the ram on the board.

Could it be an issue with wrong type of ram?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
could be and it could be the power supply isn't enough to power a real ( non-emachine ) board and it could be that it's proprietary or that something else in the system is causing a problem.... Try a real power supply.... resurrecting an emachine is often not worth the effort.... in my opinion you are better off pulling the hard drive and MAYBE the cpu and putting them in a completely different system.

schultzomerta

schultzomerta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

could be and it could be the power supply isn't enough to power a real ( non-emachine ) board and it could be that it's proprietary or that something else in the system is causing a problem.... Try a real power supply.... resurrecting an emachine is often not worth the effort.... in my opinion you are better off pulling the hard drive and MAYBE the cpu and putting them in a completely different system.

Could I at least hook my HD into another PC as a slave drive to access my files still?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yep hard drives can be switched just don't expect it to BOOT in another system.... but yeah you can hook it up as a slave and pull stuff off...