Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezes after sitting idle & LogOnHook error

• Please log in to reply

anaye

anaye

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've been having this problem the last couple weeks....
I can turn on my PC and work on it for hours with no problems, but after it stills idle for a while none of the programs will work and they'll say "not responding" -or- the entire sceen will be blank except for the desktop picture (no icons or Start bar). At that point all I can do is turn it off.
I've been trying to figure out if it was a program that was causing it by unistalling or removing from Startup but nothing has made any difference. So I tried doing a system restore using Retrospect which came up with 3 errors and when I login now I get the following message:

LogOnHook.exe - common language runtime debugging service
application has generated an exception that could not be handled
process id=0x27c(636), thread id=0x274(628)
OK to terminate or CANCEL to debug app

if I Cancel I get the next message below and everything locks up

LogOnHook.exe - no debugger found
registered JIT debugger not available.....error code of 0x2(2)
cordbg.exe !a0x218
retry cancel

The errors during the Retrospect sytem restore were:
Component "COM+ registartion database" failed and could not be restored, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)
Component "Registry" failed and could not be restored, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)
Writer "microsoft writer (bootable state)" failed and could not be restored, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

At this point I can login but IE will not connect to the internet but Outlook seems to work fine downloading mail.
Some programs won't startup like Photoshop but Word, Excel will.
Running the McAfee install disk gives me a white window that says McAfee on top but no options to install, it's blank.

Dell P4 3.0ghz
XP SP3
2GB ram
250GB HD w/partition
2-200GB external HD's
dual 19" monitors

Edited by anaye, 30 October 2008 - 12:51 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Uninstall McAfee, using McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool: http://majorgeeks.co...Tool_d5420.html, and try to install it again.

anaye

anaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the help Broni....

You'd think I would have remembered that the windows Add/Remove doesn't work for McAfee I've done it enough times!
So, McAfee is reinstalled and seems to be working.

IE is kinda working, it took about 5 minutes for it to connect to the internet but it did eventually bring up this web site.

The LogOnHook message didn't show up this time when I loggen in.

I'll have to wait and see about windows freezing up.

What next?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What IE version? Did you try Firefox to see, if this is browser issue, or general connectivity issue?

anaye

anaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have IE7 and already tried reinstalling it but it didn't help.

Outlook doesn't seem to have a problem sending & recieving and my laptop (which I'm using now) & other PC don't have any IE problems.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Did you try Firefox to see, if this is browser issue, or general connectivity issue?

anaye

anaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ya, Firefox is working ......and is working as normally should

Edited by anaye, 30 October 2008 - 09:37 PM.

anaye

anaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
OK, that was weird......we lost our DSL connection (it happens a lot) and I turned off the modem and back on again as normal.
And then IE was working just fine for a few minutes until I tried closing it and it took several minutes for it to close and then when I tried opening IE again it takes several minutes for it to "connect" and open to a "blank page" which is what is has been doing the last few days.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Start with some general connection trouble shooting steps...

Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
Power them back on.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK.

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK.

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml
Restart computer, and check again.

anaye

anaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
sorry but none of the above worked.

once IE opens and makes a connection (3-5 minutes) it works fine until I try and shut it down again.
I'm thinking it may have something to do with McAfee Site Advisor because that's where it gets stuck, right before the site advisor icon would pop up. I can't find anything that uninstalls it.

I also have an item in my msconfig startup that appeared in the last week or so:
dumprep 0 -k
Not sure if that means anything

Advertisements

anaye

anaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well I left IE, Outlook, and Task Manager open and let it sit overnight. In the morning everything seemed to be normal (no missing icons & Start bar), the programs would minimize & maximize and Task Manager showed everything as running. I tried to call up a new web page, the page partly came up and then it stopped and TM showed two of the same web pages and both "not responding". I then tried my email and when I tried to reply to one I got the dredded hour glass and TM showed the "reply" as "not responding".

I let it sit for an hour and when I came back the web page I was trying to call up earlier had appeared and the TM now showed it as "running". I called up a couple new web pages with no problems but then it gave me the hour glass and TM showed 2 of the same web pages, one "running" and one "not responding" when only one instance of IE was open. The email "reply" had also appeared (my replies come up in a new window) and showed as "running" in TM but when I tried to close (cancel) it I got the "not responding" "End Now" box. The Outlook program showed as "running" in TM the whole time but later when I wasn't using it changed to "not responding".
Then a few minutes later (while writing this on my laptop) everything disappeared, all programs, icons and Start bar disappear leaving just the desktop picture. The mouse still works but I can't do anything else now but shut it down.

Edited by anaye, 31 October 2008 - 11:06 AM.

anaye

anaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Oh Ya....I also uninstalled the McAfee Site Advisor last night but evidently it didn't make any difference.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd advice you to go to Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here section, and see, if your computer is clean.

anaye

anaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks Broni.....I'll try that

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted.