Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

refurbished Gateway FX7029E or build one?

• Please log in to reply

idon

idon

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi everyone,

I simply want a decent gaming pc for as little money as possible. I already have a work computer at my studio that has all the email, spreadsheets, software etc. etc, I need for work and daily activities. I am primarily interested in just gaming on my next one, I don't need any extras just some nice flawless, fast graphics. I am a computer moron and I should not be allowed near one, I could set it on fire but nonetheless I operate one, anyways Tigerdirect is offering a refurbished fx7029e which as far as I can tell seems quite capable of handling some games. I was thinking of building one from scratch but I am worried about the possible impact of that since I probably would burn my apartment down or at the very least scare all the wildlife in a 3 mile radius due to my screams of frustration. Money is an issue and what I can get the fx for I cant come close with a build your own...at least I dont think so, any thought are welcome and invited.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

What's your budget?

There is a guide we wrote to building your own, the link is in my signature.

Troy

idon

idon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I want to stay under $600, I already have a nice LCD monitor and I'm not super picky about the sound for right now, I can always upgrade that later. The fx is under $600. I just want to make sure it runs smoothly. There is nothing more annoying than choppy game play...well, maybe an exgirlfriend.

idon

idon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have two other computers I don't really need, is there a market for used pc's or should I consider designating them as extremely large paperweights? Just joking I know they could be put to good use somehow, do any companies offer trade ins?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I am not sure about trade-ins in your local area, although I highly doubt it.

Yes there certainly is a market for used PC's, you should be able to sell them off and add this to your budget (if you so wish).

On a sidenote, how is an ex-girlfriend annoying? Is she bugging you still? :)

Troy

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

On a sidenote, how is an ex-girlfriend annoying? Is she bugging you still? :)

:)

Hehe...*gasps* Sorry...that was great...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah, well... :)

Be sure to let us know if you are able to sell off your systems to add to the budget, or if you want to stick to $600.

Troy