Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios Keeps Resetting?

• Please log in to reply

iman7

iman7

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
This is odd... I booted up my PC yesterday and It was looking for a floppy disk (like we use one nowadays). Went into the bios, changed that, noticed my boot priority was reset too... I shut it down at the end of the day. Now today the thing reset itself again...

I haven't heard of a virus that affects the bios, but I'm still scanning just to be sure.

Searching for a fix on google...

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
There is a watch type battery on the motherboard that provides enough power to keep the BIOS settings when your computer is powered off. You need to replace the battery.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Try to change the battery.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
After you change the battery you will need to reset the clock. If you do not, the updates from MS will be really messed up.

iman7

iman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Day three, the BIOS did not reset itself. Odd... If it does eventually die out, I'll keep this in mind.

Do they sell these batteries at any PC Hardware store? I don't recall seeing any on price lists.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Kmart, walmart, PC store, virtually anywhere.
Get the number off it first.