Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled Windows have issues now?

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok I just reinstalled win XP Pro on a system and now when I go to programs or anything in the start menu it highlights what I have over the mouse but it go in and out really quick (unhighlights) also if I go to cmd it automaticly scrolls all the way down to the bottom same with anything that has a scroll on it. Like when I upgraded to SP 2 or SP 3 when licence aggreement came up it scrolled all the way down to the bottom without me doing a thing. It's just a system I threw together with leftover peices. AMD 1.2, and only 512 PC133 ram, I know its not alot of mem but the board only has 2 dimms and the biggest mem's I had were 256, 1 cdrom and onboard video and sound. What could cause there flickers and scrolling??? Just a base system never had this issue before. Akso I noticed something odd when I upgraded to SP2 it rebooted and said no HD found so I shut down and rebooted and it came back fine. I ran check disk on this HD before should I run it again??

Edited by cradl, 31 October 2008 - 05:37 AM.

Advertisements

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi cradl ,
all I can think first off is to check your TAB key on your keyboard isn't "stuck" , or the left mouse button , if you get where I'm going with this ?

Try checking out your Keyboard and mouse , it could be that simple , and a logical place to start troubleshooting ...

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ya I'm going to try and switch keyboards to see but is there anything else that it could be?? Like I said all I did was reinstall XP and put SP3 on it not evwen hooked to net so it couldn't be virus or somone hack to network because my other systems are fine and the keyboard and mouse are the ones I use to hook up to other systems. It has always worked fine even a week ago.?????

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Check in Device Manager . Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > device manager . Look and see if you have any Yellow !'s or Red X's .

You could have a problem with your On board Video Chip ?

Have you tweaked anything in the mouse settings , like Auto Scroll . Do have TweakUI , or any software that you installed with your mouse that has advanced options .

Really just have to look a step at a time for each little step in the chain of events .
Have you updated Adobe Reader ?

Sorry with so little info hard to trouble shoot . Yeah , couldn't hurt to RUN > CHKDSK /F

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
no nothing device maneger, also just widows SP3 load and nothing else.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi cradl ,

looks like this is headed no where ... try re-Installing WinXP SP2 , don't update to SP 3 , and see if your machine works ?

Good luck ! :)