Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Networking and Dial up modems

• Please log in to reply

Pelley

Pelley

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there, I have a desktop computer with a dial up ISP. I just purchased laptops for my kids for Chirstmas. I was wondering if there is a router for dial up modems. Can I sent up a home network so the kids can be on the internet wireless and I still use my desktop.

Any help in this matter would be great. I would like to know before I try to do the impossible..

Thanks
Michelle

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
This article should provide you with the information you need. At a quick glance, I can't seem to find any "WiFlyer's". So your best bet might be setting up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). This will make it where your desktop broadcasts the internet to the laptops. So in order for the laptops to get internet, the desktop has to be turned on.

Hope this helps.

Pelley

Pelley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Granz00

I have an Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Card
US Robotics V.92 Fax Host Modem

with a dial up connection..

My laptops that I purcahsed for the kids

Wireless Card 802.11g Mini Card

Would you please let me know if it is possible for me to run this into wireless through the internet connection sharing..

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hello,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I generally don't check the site too often over the weekend. Anyways, I should have learned the specifics of ICS in class, however, either I never did, or it is too fuzzy to remember. I am not entirely sure on what hardware limitations there would be. Here is a page for the steps to set up ICS with Windows XP.

I would start there, and see what issues pop up. I am assuming that your desktop is using Windows XP, and the laptops are using Windows Vista. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Good Luck,
Josh.

Pelley

Pelley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey Josh, Both my PC and Laptops are running Windows XP. I know how to set up the ICS. I was just wondering if going wireless with dial up is possible and what hardware I would have to buy..

Michelle

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I was just wondering if going wireless with dial up is possible and what hardware I would have to buy..

the ONLY way that i can think of to have a wireless network with a dial up connection as the Internet access point would be to set up an Ad-HOC (pc to pc) wireless network between the computers and have one of them with the dial up modem set up for ICS....

i've never done it (i don't know why someone would)...but i THINK that with dialup you're limited to how many computers can be online at the same time anyway....i could be wrong there....if you're not limited to one computer at a time...then the bandwidth allowed for each computer would be pretty low....if you've got 3 computers using 56k you might as well just pack it up...you wouldn't be able to get much done anyway..

if the idea is to not have all the machines connected to the internet at the same time...then ICS is a moot issue because that's the whole point of ICS...to share a connection

Pelley

Pelley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:) No, I didn't plan to have all laptops online at the same time. I was just wondering if wireless was possible with a dial up connection. Having my PC dialing up is slow enough,,this dial up thing is aweful but I have no other choices.
I looked into getting satellite high speed but most systems are over $800 then there is the monthly charge on that.. But oh well....

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice

Michelle

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how's the cellular service in your area? most cellular air cards run at DSL speeds...there are even some wireless routers on the market that allow you to plug in a PCMCIA cell card into it and have a wireless connection in your house to the cell network..

most data packages start out at 45 bucks or so depending on the carrier and the service level