Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

game minimized 100% cpu usage

• Please log in to reply

akci

akci

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

When I minimize an older d3d game it starts to use up 100% of the CPU. While running everything is okay, I had taskmgr open to see how much it uses at the moment I minimize it, and it's about 20%, so it's normal.
But a few seconds after it climbs up to 100% and stays there.
After some google search all I could find that may related to this is a windows component called indexing service, I killed it but that didn't do any difference.
It's not very big problem, just an annoyance, that every time I want to do something else I have to exit the game.
Can you help please?

Advertisements

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Hi there akci, welcome to Geeks To Go.

Could you let us know your system specification?
Please list down the below information for us.
  • Processor Model
  • RAM Capacity (512mb, 1gb, 2gb and etc)
  • Graphic Cards Model
  • OS platform

For your information, you can actually determines which are the system file that eats up most of your RAM. Also, when the usage climbs up to 100%, you should be able to identify which services is running. From there, you can actually knows what is culprit that results such high system usage.

Thanks
sUBtech

akci

akci

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi sUBtech

The culprit is the game exe itself (Tomb Raider 3 btw) which is very strange because a game shouldn't use much of the cpu when minimized.
Minimizing works fine with new games though.

My system: cpu P4 2.8ghz, ram 1gb, vga radeon 3650 512mb, win xp sp3.

I put back my old geforce fx5500 card for the same result, so it's suffice to say that it isn't a vga card problem.

Any ideas?

Edited by akci, 03 November 2008 - 01:31 PM.