Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing toolbar

• Please log in to reply

srobison

srobison

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi I am new to the forums but I was wondering if I could get some help. I play Lord of the Rings online and it seems like every time i exit the game my toolbar freezes up to the point where I have to alt tab and delete to restart. I nevr really had this problem before about a month ago, and I havent added anything to my computer since then, except Spore. I was wondering if I could get some advice, also if you need any information just let me know.

Advertisements

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Hi there srobison, Welcome to Geeks to Go.

I am not sure what happens to your system but you might have a look at your Event Viewer

Displaying Event Viewer

• Click Start then Run
  • Type the below in the box
Eventvwr

Viewing Log
  • Please look at Application Log, System Log.
  • Look at the Error Level in the Log. You should have sufficient information there regarding your freeze.

Basically if your system hang or crashes, it will be recorded in the Event Viewer
Please have a look there and feedback to us for further assistant.
Thanks

sUBtech

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Well I checked and there werent any logs of problems, I actually played around a bit on my computer after it froze the toolbar instead of restarting, and after about 20 min everything just kind of whipped into where it should have been and it was fully functional. I did have an issuse with my sata cable connection to my harddrive. It got caught in another piece while i was opening the case and the side broke off a bit, but it still connects so i left it alone. Any other help would be appreciated, thanks again.

(edit) New symptom sometimes when I try to get into control panel it shows the little flashlight search bar until it freezes.

Edited by srobison, 01 November 2008 - 03:21 PM.

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Good day,
The symptom of the flashlight shows that you have problem on your HDD buffering.
You can run CHKDSK/r to scan and to repair for any bad sector found in your HDD.
It should be your HDD issue by now and not your OS issue since you mentioned that there ain't any error log.

Thanks

sUBtech

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Info from HD tuner

HD Tune: WDC WD3200AAKS-00B3A Health

ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
(01) Raw Read Error Rate 200 200 51 0 Ok
(03) Spin Up Time 159 155 21 3050 Ok
(04) Start/Stop Count 100 100 0 3 Ok
(05) Reallocated Sector Count 200 200 140 0 Ok
(07) Seek Error Rate 200 200 0 0 Ok
(09) Power On Hours Count 99 99 0 762 Ok
(0A) Spin Retry Count 100 253 0 0 Ok
(0B) Calibration Retry Count 100 100 0 0 Ok
(0C) Power Cycle Count 100 100 0 303 Ok
(C0) Power Off Retract Count 200 200 0 93 Ok
(C1) Load Cycle Count 200 200 0 303 Ok
(C2) Temperature 115 87 0 28 Ok
(C4) Reallocated Event Count 200 200 0 0 Ok
(C5) Current Pending Sector 200 200 0 0 Ok
(C6) Offline Uncorrectable 200 200 0 0 Ok
(C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 200 200 0 0 Ok
(C8) Write Error Rate 200 200 0 0 Ok

Power On Time : 762
Health Status : Ok

HD Tune: WDC WD3200AAKS-00B3A Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 31.6 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 103.4 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 85.6 MB/sec
Access Time : 17.1 ms
Burst Rate : 87.0 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 32.3%

Edited by srobison, 02 November 2008 - 09:39 PM.

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
:) bump

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
For me, it was a program running in the background that was crashing after DirectX did its thing. Try disabling startup programs and services, then running LOTRO.

Go to Start > Run, and type in msconfig into the box and press Enter. Click on the Startup tab, and press the Disable All button. Then click on the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft Services box and then press the Disable All button. Select Apply, then Close. Click the Restart button and your computer will restart. Open up LOTRO and play it for about 10 minutes. Exit out normally and see if everything works okay, report back with the results!

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Tried it and it did the same thing, in fact my toolbar is frozen right this minute. Another thing that I failed to menton earlier is that 80% percent of the time when I shut down, frozen toolbar or not, I have to end up manualy powering down my rig. Thanks for the help so far!

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
bump :) Save ME!

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to see you have the Windows CD... let's use that to check for any damaged files. Just put it into the drive, and close any AutoPlay windows that come up. Then, go to Start, click run and type in cmd and press Enter. This will open a command prompt. Type in sfc /scannow and press Enter. You'll then see a prompt that System File Checker is checking Windows for problems. Let this run, and when it is done, reboot your computer and see what happens!

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Well I made it all the way to the end of the check and it pops up a message that says files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to you dll cache. Then it says enter your windows pro disk 2 and when I put it in it sayd its the wrong disk, I tried all my disks and it says that I have entered the wrong disk.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
boo for XP Media Center edition! :)

Just cancel through that prompt. It will ask you if you are sure you want to skip that file, just approve skipping it and let it continue the scan.

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I did and it finished, toolbar is currently frozen :)

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It does seem to be hanging up less when I shut down however.

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
well are you stumped? :)