Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows experience index-core 2 duo

• Please log in to reply

Hunter101

Hunter101

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi

my windows experiences index for my core 2 duo e6600 2.4ghz is 4.7 but on my brother's computer its 5.3, why is that? my brother and i have the EXACT same computer since we are always competitive we jjust bought the same parts, and his computer isnt overclocked either, we have the samecpu, psu, ram, mobo, graphics card, vista ultimate, everything.

all our other windows experience index are the same, just not the cpu

thanks in advance

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
The different sub-score for your CPU can be caused by such things as internet traffic passing through your PC at the time of the performance testing, but no traffic passing through your brother's PC when he tested his. Try running the test again with no active internet connection.

Hunter101

Hunter101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi philip i tried disabling my internet completely but still the same result, I tried updating my score 3 times, do u think its because my cpu is too hot coz i tend to leave my comp on 10x as my brothers

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Are both processors exactly same model and spec?

Hunter101

Hunter101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yes exactly, we bought all our stuff at the same time

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Both processors running at same clock frequency? (this is determined in the computer's BIOS settings, not 'hard wired' on the processor chip)

If both same well I'm stuck for an answer. Don't get too hung up with these scores though. I've seen looking round the various forums that a faster CPU got a lower sub-score than a slower CPU -- which just about makes a nonsense of the whole Windows Experience Index concept.
It's really only useful when choosing a new PC so you have some idea of how 'complete' your Vista experience will be if you buy that one compared to a different one. That's the whole idea behind it, but beyond that it's pretty meaningless.

Furthermore on the various forums, I see that people have had some low sub-scores on their existing PC which, according to Microsoft, will only support 'basic' Windows features, yet they are able to run Vista Premium with all the visual effects turned on.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows Experience scores are generally best calculated when the computer isn't doing anthing else, including responding to mouse clicks. Therefore a computer that's responding to stuff you're doing gets a lower score as it's been distracted.

Realistically though the score is meant to indicate one's ability to run software in the future as a guideline, it doesn't really mean anything beyond that, more a show off to your mates than anything else to boost the "I've got a better computer than you" boast.

From this page:
http://www.drivermax...ax_CpuScore=Any

The Intel E6600 can score anywhere between 3.7 and 5.8 so a lot comes down to the manufacturing of the chip, the board architecture, etc - no two chips are exactly the same and it also explains why two processors may not overclock to the same extent as each other.

Hunter101

Hunter101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
thanks for that, how do i check which family, stepping and model of my cpu? I'm pretty sure it would be same as my brothers but just to make sure, we got them within the same week.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As I previously stated, no two chips are the same. Just because you bought them both in the same week doesn't mean they're identical, one may have been a chip rated to perform at a higher speed but fails the criteria but is stable at the lower speed. It's kind of like buying a light bulb - just because you buy two doesn't mean they both put out the same amount of light.

A program called CPU-Z will give you all the details you need.