Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

autochk:program not found

• Please log in to reply

Flakko

Flakko

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
last week my computer was running ok nothing was going untill one day my computer started saying something about a threat to get a protection program im not sure if it was a virus protection or spyware protection program but anyways i would ignore it, untill one time my computer said shutting down computer to prevent damage i was confused and the computer shutted off. I turned it on again and it would load as usually then it would go to a blue screen and it would autochek:program not found skipping auto check and would restart all over again and again...and it wont let me in to the login... is there any way that i could fix it i really need your help... i went to other websites and all they say is a program ptedit but i need a floppy disk and i dont got a floppy disk drive is there any way you could help? also i was going to do a recovery but i lost the cd....so pretty much im screwed but ive still got hope.... can you help? thanks for your time to be reading this

Edited by Flakko, 31 October 2008 - 08:56 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Please do not type your whole post in upper case letters. This is considered shouting.
Can you press F8 several times when you FIRST turn on the computer.
You should get a boot options menu.
You can try last known good configuration, but I would prefere to see if you can boot in to safe mode.
If you can boot in to safe mode with no issues than it is most likely a driver conflict.
It could also be an issue with an update.
Do you use Norton anti virus?
Have you downloaded or installed any software lately?
Have you made any hardware changes?
Do you have any thing plugged in to a USB port?

Flakko

Flakko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
HI sorry its becuase im new to this and i wanted to post a quick post becuase i was just so eager to get a response.
But No i never Had an Antivirus program.
The last thing I kept seeing is that this pop up would come up saying theres been an incomplete installation or something like that.
O and i tried that safe mode thingy once and it wouldnt work it would do the same thing but i never tried the last good configuration one.

Edited by Flakko, 31 October 2008 - 09:10 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
O.K.
Please try what I posted in post #2, and answer the questions if you can.
Where did you get this copy of Windows that is on your computer?

Flakko

Flakko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
wheres post number too im kinda of new to this website so i dont really know nothing about it ? but wat do you mean where did i get it?
i just bought a computer ?????

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I was afraid that you may have tried to do a repair using the wrong disc.
Please try this, If you are able to
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

Flakko

Flakko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok i got everything you said except the first part about Booting with Windows Xp Installation Cd What Is That, do i Need A Cd??

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please go here and save the recovery console to your desktop.
Then read this and follow the directions.

Flakko

Flakko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok thanks ill see if could do it and thanks for takin your time to help me

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am sorry but I must go to sleep.
I will check back in the morning.

Advertisements

Flakko

Flakko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok i did the cd thing and now im all set to start but before i do i want to know one more question would doing this delete all important information data such as documents, programs,and pictures?
And if it does is there ne other way of doing this without having to erase any Data information pictures and documents?
IM going to wait till tommorow till i get a response from you to start on everything just to make sure thanks :)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Doing this will NOT delete any of your data.
We are hopeing to restore your computer to a time before when it would not boot.
After we do this you will be sent to the malware forum where an expert can help you to SAFELY remove any viruses.

Flakko

Flakko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok just makin sure
im goin to give it a try and
if i run into problems ill reply
tellin u whats wrong and thanks

Flakko

Flakko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok well finally i was going to start on the process so i turn on the computer with the problem....and i stil havent put in the cd yet...
so then it says for the first time,
Boot:Write!!!
Virus:continue [Y/N]

what do i do?
Do i Still Put In the Cd?

Edited by Flakko, 01 November 2008 - 03:04 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You do not want to allow the boot secter write.
Put the CD in and restart the computer.
You want the computer to boot from the CD.