Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop battery

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I have a quick question. I have a hp dv2000t laptop that I bought in the summer of 2006. I've used it everyday.

It is a 12-cell battery. In the past few months, the battery went from 7+ hours to 20minutes. I noticed gradual detoriation starting fall of 2007.

Should I complain or is that how it should be? The reason I ask is the drop was noticeable. Just a few weeks ago it would last 40minutes and it is currently half that.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
How you run your battery to keep it from losing its full capacity? What i do with both my laptops is once a month run them on battery power until they are down to around than 5 % to 10% power, then recharge them back to full. If i get a chance to do this weekly i will do this, otherwise i will run them with the charger hooked up all the time. Once in a while i can run the battery's down when doing presentations on the road. I do this every chance i get.

If you are using a laptop with a Lithium-ion battery (most newer laptops), it should give you between 300-500 charge/discharge cycles.

The typical life span should be somewhere between 2 to 3 years.

(nickel cadmium and nickel metal hydride) Unlike the lithium based battery, this battery likes being discharged and then fully charged. If a Nickel-based battery is always partially discharged before recharging, the usable capacity of the battery will be reduced. This battery has a voltage capacity 3 times less than the Lithium battery (1.2 V -vs- 3.6).

SRX660