Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only getting 54mbps on my laptop

• Please log in to reply

Volstate

Volstate

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have a Netgear WPN824 router. It broadcasts at a speed of 108mbps. I just bought a new laptop with an Atheros AR5009 a/g/n wireless card and it will only connect at 54mbps and I can't figure out why. I have a desktop in the home with a Netgear USB adapter and it is connecting at 108mbps so I know it's not my router. Does someone know of settings I can adjust or something I can do to be able to connect at 108mbps? Any and all help is appreciated in advance!

Advertisements

Volstate

Volstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I did some research on the internet and it appears I need to set my laptop to allow Atheros to manage my network connection rather than Windows. I read windows is set by default. Does anyone know how to do that?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
In your network settings
Enable and Disable Automatic Wireless Network Configuration
To enable automatic configuration, ensure the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox is checked on the Wireless Networks tab of the Wireless Network Connection properties window. Automatic wireless Internet / Wi-Fi network configuration will be disabled if this checkbox is unchecked. You must be logged on with Windows XP administrative privileges to enable / disable this feature.
Cheers
Peterm

Volstate

Volstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Can you give me step by step instructions by chance? I can't find what you are talking about...

fwoodward

fwoodward

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Try this:

1. Go to Start and right click My Computer. Select and right-click Manage.

2. Computer Management window will appear. Under Services and Applications, select Services.

(Another way to reach this is: Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

3. Scroll down and select WLAN AutoConfig.

4. Double-click the service and its properties window will appear. If the startup type is set to automatic, click on the dropdown arrow and change it to Disabled. Click Stop to stop the service. Click OK.

Volstate

Volstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thank you. That would work if my card had it's own managing software. I've looked everywhere and it doesn't. I was told that since my card doesn't match my router make (Netgear) then I won't get anything faster than 54mbps. Only way to get faster is to upgrade to a wireless N router I suppose. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know! Does anyone have a wireless N router and if so how fast do you connect at?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I was told that since my card doesn't match my router make (Netgear) then I won't get anything faster than 54mbps.

this would be wrong

I have a Netgear WPN824 router.

....that is an N router isn't it?

Thank you. That would work if my card had it's own managing software.

it should...what's the make and model of the wireless card?

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You can download the software for your card, just go to the laptop manufacturer's website, for example HPs site or Dell or whatever. I'd be really surprised if there isn't software that came with your laptop. And you can get the max speed regardless if your card & router match. I have a linksys router and a variety of wireless cards, none of which are linksys, and they all get 108 with the exception of a single card that's max is only 54.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your router may be set to mixed mode and then it would be set to the lowest speed ...

Volstate

Volstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

I was told that since my card doesn't match my router make (Netgear) then I won't get anything faster than 54mbps.

this would be wrong

I have a Netgear WPN824 router.

....that is an N router isn't it?

Thank you. That would work if my card had it's own managing software.

it should...what's the make and model of the wireless card?

The Netgear WPN824v2 is a "G" router that broadcasts up to 108mbps. If my computer has managing software I sure can't find it. I go to the Atheros website and they only say to go to the manufacturer of the laptop you purchased and get any support/updates from there. Atheros doesn't offer support of any kind. If anyone can help guide me here I would be very appreciative!

My wireless card is a Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter

***By the way dsenette, I'm in Maryville. Very nice to meet you and I appreciate the help :)

Edited by Volstate, 06 November 2008 - 09:21 AM.

Advertisements

Volstate

Volstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

your router may be set to mixed mode and then it would be set to the lowest speed ...

My netgear router has options for "Auto 108mbps" which is what I have it set to. Then, you have other options to have it broadcast in g only and g & b. Is this the setting you are talking about? I tried changing that and it didn't do anything. I figured the problem had to be my laptop since another computer with a matching netgear wireless adapter was getting the 108mbps. But heck, what do I know.... :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

***By the way dsenette, I'm in Maryville. Very nice to meet you and I appreciate the help

you mean murvull? hehe

http://netgear.com/P...ays/WPN824.aspx that your router? get it now it's just a rangemax....they really shouldn't put N in their model numbers unless it's an N router....

are you using an HP? i'm finding a bunch of hits on HP for the Atheros AR5009 management utility

Volstate

Volstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

***By the way dsenette, I'm in Maryville. Very nice to meet you and I appreciate the help

you mean murvull? hehe

http://netgear.com/P...ays/WPN824.aspx that your router? get it now it's just a rangemax....they really shouldn't put N in their model numbers unless it's an N router....

are you using an HP? i'm finding a bunch of hits on HP for the Atheros AR5009 management utility

Yep, Murrville :)

Yes ,my computer is a HP Pavillion Dv5z. I have seen a bunch of people with my same problem but nobody that has offered a solution. If you figure this one out, I'm sure you are going to make a bunch of people happy....including me! I just got this laptop a week ago.....and yes that's my router although that's the version 3 model, mine is the version 2. :)

Edited by Volstate, 06 November 2008 - 09:46 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the HP website is listing a driver for your PC for the atheros card...but it's not specifically grabbing the client utility in the search....maybe updating the driver from HP will add the utility with it? i know that's how it does it with the driver for my intel card.
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3744203
plus....it's a 20mb file...usually JUST drivers are a bit smaller...i'll keep digging though

Volstate

Volstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

the HP website is listing a driver for your PC for the atheros card...but it's not specifically grabbing the client utility in the search....maybe updating the driver from HP will add the utility with it? i know that's how it does it with the driver for my intel card.
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3744203
plus....it's a 20mb file...usually JUST drivers are a bit smaller...i'll keep digging though

I updated to this driver a week or so ago. I noticed before i updated that the driver date on my card was 4/27/08 and after I updated it the date didn't change. I see on this updated driver that it is dated 6/20/08 so maybe the update didn't go through???. I just dowloaded it and clicked on the executable and ran it that way. When I noticed there was no date change, I then went into my control panel and went to that specific driver and clicked on "update driver" and clicked on the folder that the executable was in but it said I had the latest driver. Did I do it right?