Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Sharing PC Selected Failed Xbox360-pc sp2 or greater

• Please log in to reply

kronicus

kronicus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To all the much enjoyed hours i spent on the phone with xbox, my router tech support and endless frustrations:

if your xbox live service is working and you can send and receive packets to and fro proceed, otherwise backtrack another topic to enshure your 360 is properly connected!

with sp2 go into windows media player 11
library-
media sharing-
select xbox 360, allow,apply, ok-
back in the library tap select more options-
library tap-
monitor files-
select the folder-files you would like to share,OK-

next click start-run-"services.msc-

ssdpdiscovery service, propteries-
under start type "automatic" apply,start,ok.

repeat this step for "universial plug and play host" and "windows media player network sharing"

*go to the xbox and attempt another connection if fails:

return to pc and start-control panel-network-windows firewall-off

disable all other software firewalls on your computer, and (or) firewalls on you router (see router manf. details) or move the ip of the xbox into the De MilitarizedZone, DMZ.

if you still cannot share files consider this you can try one of 3 alternatives or go down the long battle of using windows media player 11 to share files "its possible but it took me 5 days to make it work and then it stopped working"

1 do yourself a favor and stop right now, enable all security again, download and instal TVersity <- avaible from google free and clean!

install tversity instal.l the codec update then go into the library tab
add item-
select the folders-
you can also drop files into the library-

then-

settings-general(wrench and scrue driver)-
media play back device-
xbox 360-

(i will revisit this issiue, if you can get on xbox live through your router then your xbox is present on your network tversity should be able to see it if not other drastic changes have been made on your network beyond this tutorial's ability)

after your xbox is selected close the menu and leave tversity open, turn of the monitor becaus your going to be where the xbox is for a while......

*go to the xbox and attempt another conection if fails:
research http://portforward.com/ or other simmiliar pc forwarding applications

last you can but windows media center "or obtain it by other legal means"

as a last thought keep in mind your router is going to be the biggest factor in making the connection so i suggest you become vary familiar with it or call your routers tech support and have them assist you in port forwarding.
you can find a list of ports that need to be setup all over the web but here they are per micro soft
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

per xbox
Ehshell.exe TCP5555 Incoming
Ehshell.exe UDP 7777 Incoming
Mcrdsvc.exe UDP3776 Incoming
Svchost.exe UDP 1900 Incoming
Svchost.exe TCP 3390 Incoming
Mcxnettw.exe Random Outgoing
Mcrmgr.exe TCP3932 Outgoing
Ehexthost.exe Random Outgoing

remember this is meant to be a basic plug and play connection if it has not been start from scratch set everything back to defaults on the xbox including pppoe settings if needed, your router and media sharing software, power cycle your modem router and xbox and start again.

i hope this helps someone out there as i just about drove my self insane with this.
-dave

Edited by kronicus, 02 November 2008 - 02:36 PM.

Advertisements