Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 5100 front i/o panel x8543 shorted

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I have a damaged X8543 front panel on a dell 5100 if anyone has one for sale. I also need to know if the damaged USB port on this panel could cause the blinking amber light and no boot. I have replaced the PSU already. If the port is shorted to ground, would it damage the MB?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If the port is shorted to ground, would it damage the MB?

yes it could

I also need to know if the damaged USB port on this panel could cause the blinking amber light and no boot.

it's possible...if the USB port is on the front panel then it probably has some wires running back to a secondary usb header...try pulling that cable off the header on the MOBO if you can find it (shouldn't be that hard)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

I also need to know if the damaged USB port on this panel could cause the blinking amber light and no boot.

Yes.

I have personally seen this before, and it was isolated by physically separating the front I/O panel from the chassis, first with a plastic scribe, then removing the whole component. Try removing the I/O panel assembly and see if it will boot. Try stripping down the system to minimal components (CPU, one stick of RAM in DIMM A) and see if that will boot. The flashing yellow power light is most often caused by the motherboard and/or power supply - Dell standard procedure is to replace both which - last I heard - only fails to resolve the issue 4% of the time.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Solved.....I finally found a front i/o panel assembly and replaced the shorted one. I replaced the cmos battery I had pulled and...it's back to normal....Thanks for all the help

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear you got it taken care of!