Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer/Status

• Please log in to reply

lenore2

lenore2

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey,

I've recently had a massive pc clean up after much Malaware and lovely things like that. I however still have a little niggle when you boot up the pc (to use the technical term) something pops up everytime called Windows Installer and then tries to download and install. It however never shows a name it's always window installer, if you let it run it will change to something called Status and ask you to insert a disk or search for the file. I however have no idea what it is?!

Little help please.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Can you post a screenshot of your system when this occurs? Including items in the bottom right tray. Also do you have any extra components for any printers, for example HP Solution Center for HP printers?

lenore2

lenore2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I'll try and capture a screenshot when I log in later. I do have the HP Solution center for the printer.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Interesting. Could you possibly go into msconfig and disable any hp application services? Pretty much anything associated with HP excluding anything about drivers of course. Then restart and let me know the results.

lenore2

lenore2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
That seems to have done the trick! turned off all things HP related apart from drivers and re-booted. No pop up!

I did try paste you the print screen you asked for, but wouldn't work when I went to paste into this message box. But your recommendation seems to have done the trick. I noticed when I was in the Msconfig I have something called Ocraware exe...do you know anything about this? I've heard it is a genuine prog and other times is something nasty.