Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

check disk froze

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok as with my earler posts today. I did a schedule on reboot for check and fix errors. It gets to 59% amd freezes. Now what? How do I get out of this or fix it? Stage 4 of 5.

Edited by cradl, 03 November 2008 - 08:42 PM.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Bad sign -- often means disk is failing. Some faults are 'fixable' if you run the disk manufacturer's diagnostic software, just depends how serious the fault or wear and tear is. I suggest you run the diagnostic software to ascertain what condition the disk is in. It's free to download and use, but you'll need to know the disk maker's name to get the correct software from their website. It runs from a bootable floppy or cd containing it's own basic version of DOS so it will work even if the disk is really messed up and Windows won't start.

Edited by phillip22, 04 November 2008 - 07:29 AM.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ya got it last night. So I was able to run check disk under windows and it finished fine. Still i'm going to run it in dos mode and see. I ran seagate tools under windows and it fails on s.m.a.r.t. check, long drive self test, drive info and long generic. Passed short generic. Does it matter if the drive is partitioned and I have it hooked up to my other cpu as a secondary drive?? other wise I will hook it back up to the other cpu and run it in that system under dos.