Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to recover data

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I was working with an external Lacie drive that would not get recognized by the computer. I finally broke open the case, connected to an external SATA case, and it now recognizes, but will not get assigned a drive letter. In Disk Management it shows as 465GB, Healthy(Active), but there is no drive ltter assigned. If I right click I only get options to "Delete Partition" or view Properties.

Any options to access the data? Other software I may need? I have also tried a Knoppix CD without luck.

Many thanks

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
You could try data recovery software... personally I have used getdataback with good success... you can download and run the free trial to see if it can find anything on the drive before you buy... there are supposedly some free programs that will do the job as well though I have never used any.... there are also several other ones you can buy but again I have no experience with any...

good luck

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks, I ended up trying GetDataBack and a freeware software, but no luck. It turned up some files/directories but they were all jumbled names.

Best to all