Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire -Downgrading to XP , driver problems

• Please log in to reply

jmoscow08

jmoscow08

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all, I have a acer aspire 5310 , and my mate has the same laptop ,only he downgraded his to XP, Everything is working fine , but the touchpad isnt working as the driver for it that he downloaded doesnt work, also he cant get the universal bus controllers that he downloaded to install and work.
, have u any suggestions as to what to do ?
Is the bus controllers important ? On my laptop which has vista it says its intel ® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB universal host controller 27C8 , then theres one for 27c9, 27CA 27CB 27CC
When my friend clicks the downloaded driver files it just doesnt do anything.

Edited by jmoscow08, 04 November 2008 - 05:44 AM.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
This is the most common problem when downgrading a new or new-ish PC to XP when it was originally supplied with Vista pre-installed.
With laptops the problem is greater because the drivers for it are often modified versions supplied by the manufacturer, specifically written for that model. That's why drivers from a different source will often not work, and because it's a laptop you can't change a component (eg video card) to get round the problem.

Acer only supply Vista drivers for the Aspire 5310 -- I just checked. I suggest you re-install Vista as it was.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Where have you looked? On Acer support site there are all the drivers you should need for the Acer Aspire 5310. Follow the link and the choose your model, all the drivers are there.

jmoscow08

jmoscow08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have downloaded them but the touchpad one doesnt work with the xp.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You mean that the one that says Touch Pad Driver for Windows XP does not work with XP? Does an external mouse work? Are you sure that the Touch Pad is enabled?

jmoscow08

jmoscow08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeh we downloaded the xp touchpad but it doesnt work, how do u enable it ?

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
After you install the driver, what does the Device Manager show?

jmoscow08

jmoscow08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Got the touchpad working ,turns out i had to enable it by pressing fn and f7 , still have the bus controllers problem though . what is its purpose?