Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant hanging and freezing

• Please log in to reply

Diamar

Diamar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there

New to forums and this is my first post.

My computer is driving me mad. It constantly hangs/freezes and is non responsive.
I have PC guard which is up to date and I have run full virus and spyware check - all clear.
I also have McAfee which is also upto date and has failed to locate anything nasty.

I have run a memory check (through admin tools) and this has also come back clear.

I use Vista
I use IE 7.0.6001.18000
I use windows mail 6.0.600.16386

Sometimes when I go to load my emails I get a message telling me that there is already an instance running so I then have to go to my task manager and cancel it on processes as it is not showing on applications.

At the moment I have 14 svchost.exe processes running - 5 under systems, 6 under local service and 2 under network service.

I have csrss.exe running twice under system
I have two entries for ieplore.exe
I have rundll32.exe running 3 times and two sidebars

I am so confused and dont know what to do for the best. Can someone please give me some advice on what to do.

Thank you in advance for any advice and assistance you may be able to offer me.

Edited by starjax, 04 November 2008 - 11:38 PM.
removed hjt log. not required at this time

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
The first issue that I see is that you have two anti-virus programs.
You will have to remove PC guard, or Mcafee. I suggest that you remove Mcafee as it could not catch a cold if you through ice water on it in a snow storm.
Two anti-virus programs will conflict with each other.
It is also not good to have two resident shields.
If the machine is still having this issue I would suggest that you disable the add ons in the Internet explorer tools drop down menu.
Then it is off to the malware forums.

Diamar

Diamar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there HCFG, and thank you for your help and advice.

I have removed PC guard and Mcafee and replaced with with AVG.
I have also disabled quite a few add ons.
Its a bit early to tell how its running as I have only just completed all of this but I just wanted to say thank you for your help.

I will let you know how it runs after these changes.

Thanks again :)