Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help ASAP computer wont start

• Please log in to reply

i love bubbles

i love bubbles

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
hey people just after your opinion on whats wrong with my computer maybe i can fix it cheaper then at the rip off computer stores.
anyway i cant get the computer to start up.i turn it on the green/yellow light next to the power button flashes constantly after being turned on the motherboard fan and the power fan both are running and there is power to the cd drive but nothing wants to start nothing on the screen

i have tried
a new power box
taking out the RAM and turning it on and the computer beeps
cleaned out the computer of dust
removed the battery on the motherboard and replaced
disconnected all the cables to everything but the motherboard and power
i have only one stick of ram (i have others from another computer but i dont know how to tell if they are compatable or not) its running "twinmos" ram and i have "transcend" ram available both 512

nothing has made any difference doing the same thing any help would be great i have work documents i need asap so any help would be great thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The fact the computer beeps with no memory in it suggests a faulty stick of memory. Shove it in another memory slot.
Next course of action - try a new stick of memory. Memory is keyed so only the right type will go in.
More drastic solution may be the board's developed a problem with its memory controller which effectively means its scrap.

i love bubbles

i love bubbles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok well i tried changing the RAM i added another one out of another computer i have now acheived no orange light on the front and the yellow/green light no longer flashes i actually get some monitor movement. its a white screen flashing with thin green and ble lines diagonally down the screen any ideas from that?

thanks

i love bubbles

i love bubbles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok i got it going used different memory smaller memory so now it runs really slow but its running