Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new processor wont work

• Please log in to reply

landwalrus

landwalrus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just tried to insatall a new processor, but the computer won't start with the new one in. I put the old one back in and it still works.
my old one is a amd 64 x2 3800 windsor 2.0 ghz
new one is amd 64 x2 5400 brisbane 2.8 ghz black edition
any suggestions on what I might have done wrong would be helpfull.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello landwalrus...welcome to geeks to go!

Does the machine power on, then power right back off when you try to start it with the new processor?

What motherboard do you have installed?

It's possible that the BIOS version currently in use by your motherboard does not support the new processor. A BIOS update will usually fix the issue if, in fact, that's the problem. Given the information asked for above may help us to help you.

wannabe1

landwalrus

landwalrus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the power stays on, the fans run and the light stays on, but nothing happens.
I looked up the mother board info: asus A8MZN-LA or NodusM3-GL8E

landwalrus

landwalrus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well it seems there is no bios update that will get this cpu to work with my system.
I have searched around and the problem is my motherboard will not support it.
If I am wrong feel free to let me know, but I think I have to get another cpu.
Thanks for the help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What model HP do you have?

It does look as though the board won't support that processor, but it may be more an issue with the core than the actual processor.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 5400 is the later addition to the AM2 processor range, initially it only went up to a 5000+ processor and then the range was expanded up to the 6000 with the LE range, the BE series and the Phenom quad-core processors. BIOS updates all round were needed quickly since none of the boards could see anything beyond the 5000 and AMD were shovelling the new processors out like there was no tomorrow.

The A8MZN-LA looks to have been used in a HP Pavilion A1600N and probably other variations too. One post on a HP Business forum suggests you can stick a 6000 processor in it. Therefore if its the same board a BIOS update from HP should let it see a 5400.

Edited by Neil Jones, 05 November 2008 - 05:37 PM.

landwalrus

landwalrus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I talked to someone at HP and they told me that my board won't accept anything over a 5000+.
I downloaded the latest BIOS from HP but that was almost a year old. I will probably just return the 5400 and get a 5000.
It should be good enough for what I need and it shouldn't cost too much (shipping/restock fees and all).