Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death 2 minutes after start-up!

• Please log in to reply

genkikiwi

genkikiwi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
HELP!!!

Yesterday, my computer just shut down on me and restarted itself. Then two minutes after restarting itself it got the blue screen of death, shut down and restarted itself again.

I have been trying to save stuff one thing at a time before the two minutes is up. When it loads, it says the computer is infected and recommends a virus scan. The scan starts but of course it can't finish because after two minutes the blue screen comes up and the computer shuts itself down.

This is an NEC running Windows XP.

Is there anything I can do? Keep in mind I can't do much inside the two minutes it allows me before the blue screen appears.

Cheers.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing i would try is to hit the F8 key while the computer is booting up to get to this screen.

Posted Image

Then pick "Last Known Good configuration" with the arrow keys and then hit the enter key and see if it fixes the problem. If not try a restore from the same F8 key when you reboot the computer.

The next thing to try is a repair install. Look here for the tutorial.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If nothing else will work i suggest finding a Microsoft XP CD and try installing the system after wiping the partition(s) off the hard drive and start all over again. You will need to access the BIOS/CMOS settings and look for the Boot Sequence. Make sure it is set to "CD-Rom" before the "C" drive. Then insert the XP cd in the cdrom drive and reboor the computer. Usually hitting the Delete key will get you into the bios and the arrow keys are used to move around in the bios. The enter key is used to open windows for changes ans the Esc key is used to get out of the windows. follow directions at the bottom of the screen to get out of the bios and save the settings you changed.

Heres a tutorial on deleting and making partitions.

http://www.hs-lab.co...dows-xp-cd.html

SRX660

genkikiwi

genkikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you!

But I never did put envision this would happen, so I never put marked down a place for the system to revert back to.

Also, if I do a complete system restore, will all my documents be lost?

Cheers.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the repair install fails and you really need to delete the partition and then reinstall XP brand new, then you will lose all data on the computer. If the last known good configuration or a repair install works you will not lose any data. If a restore does work you may or may not lose your data. You just never know.

It really does not matter much if you do lose some data now as you can't access the data anyway if the computer keeps restarting.

SRX660

genkikiwi

genkikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have more information after taking a photo of the blue screen:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000005, 0xF2212B75, OXEFA457E8, Ox00000000)

I think I can safe my data onto disk whilst I am in safe mode??

Running in safe mode is fine but I can't seem to download any antivirus software. Why is this?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you enable "safe mode with networking"?

You should be able to save data while in safe mode. If you can run in safe mode, the most likely culprit is a driver conflict.

If you get back in to regular mode, go to start/ run and type in devmgmt.msc and look for any ! or ? in the driver area.

genkikiwi

genkikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Did you enable "safe mode with networking"?

You should be able to save data while in safe mode. If you can run in safe mode, the most likely culprit is a driver conflict.

If you get back in to regular mode, go to start/ run and type in devmgmt.msc and look for any ! or ? in the driver area.

I did that and found nothing wrong.

The computer works with safe mode with networking.

What should i do next?

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Hi there,
Boot in safe mode, try look for C:\Minidump or C:\Windows\Minidump folder, if the folder consist of file,
Please zip the whole folder here.
I would help you analyze the dump file and see which driver is conflicting and lead to your crash.

Basically 0X8E is related to Hardware incompatibility or Faulty driver. If exception code is 0xC000005 would likely be a RAM issue but since you are able to log into safe mode. I would expect a bad driver passing through a paging file which is in high IRQL and led to access violation.

Anyway, if you found that folder, kindly upload it here so that i can have a look for you.

Note: It might not 100% precise, but you can take it as a reference though.

Thanks

genkikiwi

genkikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry, but I am a novice at computers. How do I zip a folder?

Cheers.

genkikiwi

genkikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry, but I am a computer novice.

How do I zip a folder onto this thread?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You will need a program like winzip or ultimatezip (both free). You would right click the folder and there should be a dropdown set of programs. Choose the 1 for "add to zip".