Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard disk statistics if the label is lost ?

• Please log in to reply

alexmat01

alexmat01

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello
I have my hard disk that got fried. I have one from a used peripherals shop thats matching my laptop (mine can only take upto 20GB) but it lacks any label on it because of which I dont know the RPM,date of manufacture or even the serial number (which can also tell me the date of manufacture and other details from the manufacturers website)
I was wondering if its possible to know the details like speed in RPM,serial number, manufacture date using any details to read from the harddisk (that is if all the details are also coded into the disk).
Is that possible ?
Thanks,
Alex

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you have the disk in your hand and have no label, there is not much you can do. Up untill recent years all laptop HD ran at 5600rpm. I believe they are now available in 7200rpm.

If the disk is installed, then you can install Everest (link in my signature) and it will give you all sorts of info. I believe if you get a adapter cable (2.5 to 3.5) you can hang it from a desktop and it will also be seen by Everest. Cables are available.