Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back up

• Please log in to reply

jimmie1949

jimmie1949

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Good Morning. A friend of mine had a old computer that died, It ran win 2000. She went a and purchased a new computer with Vista on it. Now the problem. She wants to take her backed files from windows 2000, which are on a floppy disk and put all her backed files into Her Vista. Vista will not recognize the files. The files end in a .oic Thanks for your help Jim

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I do not recognize the .oic extension and neither does google.
Did she use a program that does a backup/restore function?
Did she do a copy and paste?

Please elaborate if possible.

jimmie1949

jimmie1949

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for your reply. I just talked to her again and she said the extention was .QIC not .OIC like she first said. Sorry for the mix up

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Ok, I did a google search. QIC is a backup utility in 95,98, and me OS's.
XP's backup/restore utility will not bring them back. So I highly doubt that Vista will either.

Read THIS FROM MS

What I have found relates to using another 95/98/ me/2000 computer to try the restore. If successful, then you would have to locate the files and them move them (copy/paste) to the Vista unit.

I also found referances that some other software will read it, but I haven't found any yet. Roxio's "back up my pc" was one of them.

Found something that might help. http://www.cknow.com...hCartridge.html.

More reading http://xphelpandsupp...kup_files_i.htm.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

EDIT: I installed the trial version of "back up my PC" and clicked on restore and it was looking for a qic extension. This might work.

Edited by 123Runner, 07 November 2008 - 04:16 PM.

jimmie1949

jimmie1949

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Wow Thats great I will pass this on right now. I will let you know the out come of it. Thats for all your help Jim