Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC is starting to Die i think

• Please log in to reply

PcRtard

PcRtard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello I think my PC needs help.

I left my PC on over night, and the next day the monitor was froze i couldn't move mouse arrow, open up Start, or ctrl+alt+delete, so i hold down the button and hard reset, it took almost 10 min to start back up was stuck on loading windows.

After start up, screen was flickering and the the mouse arrow was stuttering/lagging as i moved it around, when i try to open any program or left click screen for options there is a clicking sound inside my tower and then the lag follows while this is happening, my sound on music sound like its playing in slow motion in a low Demonic sounding pitch. watching movie too sound either crackle with lag or demonic sounding like everything is running quarter speed.

I did all the mal-ware, spy-ware, antivirus, and found nothing, then i Defragged a billion times and did Chkdisk and no errors or anything was found, reinstalled all drivers, reinstalled BIOS (if that was wrong was because i dunno what im doin), still takes about 5-10 min just to shut down and double amount of time to restart.

So any ideas on what it could be we have no PC repair shop around here and i ordered a new hard drive coming today hoping its that cause i think that where sound click is coming from

Dell Dimension 4600
Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
1.50 GB DDR SDRAM
80 GB Hard Drive
Sound card - Integrated
GeForce FX 4600 Graphics Card

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hi PCRtard, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

That's a real unfortunate situation that you're in. The "clicking sound" followed by "lag" sounds a lot like a dying hard drive. I'd backup all important information off this computer as soon as possible, because the hard drive might not hang around much longer.

The new hard drive you're getting should fix your problems. Let us know how the computer is working after you've put in the new hard drive.