Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"KeyBoard Failure" error while trying F8 to get into safe mo

• Please log in to reply

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello everyone,

When I hit F8 to try and get into safe mode, last known good, etc... it says "keyboard failure" and I cannot get to the F8 related items at all. Do I have to change something in bios or something like that? Maybe driver issue?

It's a brand new keyboard, not usb either. Had the same problem with the older keyboard too. So the keyboard itself I dont think is the problem.

I've tried all the common sense stuff like making sure the connections are good and so on. Plus when the computer is running regular, the keyboard works fine.

Can't get into F8 at all.

Please help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
If it's a multimedia keyboard with dual-mode F-keys, it may be in the wrong mode. Try hitting the "F-Lock" key first which should put the F-keys back into standard mode. Then try F8 again.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot of computers complain if you keep pressing F8 during POST because they think the key's stuck. Dell PCs are quite good at this, press it twice in quick succession and it'll complain.
Far better solution is to wait until POST has finished, typically with the summary screen and PCI Devices listing coming up, then pressing F8 as it starts to boot.