Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple FireFox Annoyance...

• Please log in to reply

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hey! This is pretty simple:

In Firefox, there is a spelling correction thing that puts red lines under misspelled words. I quite like the feature however it is in American English. Since I am from Canada, there are red lines under words like:
Colour
Favourites
Judgement

Which tends to get annoying... Is there a way to change/edit the feature so that it uses Canadian English?

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Well I have found the way to turn the spell checker on and off...

Tools>Options>Advanced>General>Browsing>Check My Spelling As I Type.

The problem is, I don't want to turn it off, I want to change it... Is there an Add-On that I could use after disabling Firefox spell-checker?

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Problem Solved

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad you got it solved. Please post solution for others who may be following this thread. I was gonna suggest to highlight the word and right-click. You should then have an Option to add spelling to Dictionary.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dictionaries are available as Add-Ins from the Mozilla site for all languages and all dialects.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

Glad you got it solved. Please post solution for others who may be following this thread. I was gonna suggest to highlight the word and right-click. You should then have an Option to add spelling to Dictionary.

I have posted my solution in the tutorials section for approval...

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Here it is if anyone is experiencing the same problems...

How to Change the Spell Checker in Firefox 2 and above

Tired of those pesky red lines under the words you spelled correctly? Do you use a different language than English American? Here's how to fix it.

(See end of tutorial for other languages)

• Go here to download the Canadian Dictionary for Firefox.
  • A windows should pop-up with the add-on "Canadian English Dictionary 1.1.1" on it.
  • Click Install Now at the bottom of the window.

Next, a new window will appear titled Add-ons, with a yellow bar across the top of it.
  • Click the Restart Now button on the yellow bar and then click Restart if a warning pops up.

Firefox will shut-down then restart with all the tabs that were open. You can close the Add-ons window that
pop's up.

Next we have to change the Spell Checker Settings. To do this we will have to misspell something... To do this we can simply click Add Reply at the top of this page. Then just type in a random series of letters.
  • Right-click on the word with the red line under it
  • Go down to Languages
  • Select English / Canada

You can do this with just about any Language. I just used English Canadian as an example. You can go here and get any dictionary you want. Then just follow through the steps using the language of your choice!

Enjoy!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Guess GTG could use a local "How to Install a Spell Checker Into Firefox" tutorial, but similar instructions are at wikiHow. Now we'll have two sources and one by our very own. :)

It's not really a "problem" per se unless you are sticking with web sites mostly in one language. I just add all the Canadien "misspellings" to my dictionary and they are no longer underlined in red. The same goes for some foreign spellings that get flagged that I know are correctly spelled. That way I stay with just one dictionary. I can see where someone would have a use for more than one or want to stay with a local language dictionary.

Edited by Major Payne, 09 November 2008 - 05:16 PM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I see what you mean, but I like to stay in one language at a time; rather than going in and out of English American and Canadian. I guess for those odd occasions where you use foreign words, we can just ignore the red lines :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Nah. I don't ignore the red lines when it's flagged. If it's a common foreign word I know and it is spelled correctly (I check), I add it to my "Enlish-US" Dictionary. Heck, have you seen the list of different dictionaries in different languages that are selectable from the Options>Advanced>General>Languages (Choose button) list? Mind boggling. :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
:) Whoa... How do you pronounce that??

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. Misplaced my Geek Dictionary that gives pronunciations for words like that. :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
:) Wait... are you serious? you actually have one? :) :wave:

Edited by piano9playa5, 09 November 2008 - 07:44 PM.