Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet stopped working.

• Please log in to reply

ripcurlgirl

ripcurlgirl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I have a dell dimension 5150 computer with windows xp. Last monday I turned on my computer and the internet was not working. I got an error message saying that my computer was not connected. I rang up my internet provider (virgin media) and tried everything they told me to do but it still wouldn't work so they sent me a new modem. (I dont have a router, just a modem that connects to the computer)
I connected the new modem, still wouldn't work. Phoned up again to the helpline and they said that my network interface card is corrupted.
Is this possible? I didn't do anything different from what I normally do when I went on the internet the night before it wouldn't work. How can I fix my internet?

any help would be much appreiciated!! :wave: :) :)

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Is your network card still being recognized? Are the lights that indicate that the NIC is connected to the modem lit up? You could try getting a el-cheapo network card and put it in and hook it up and see if it lets you on the internet.

Another thing is, How old is this dell? is it still under warranty? if it is call dell up and tell them that you are pretty sure that the network card is dead. And see how the want to fix it. As with some Manufactures prefer (and to keep warranty) that they either replace the component or send you an authorized replacement for it.

ripcurlgirl

ripcurlgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the reply.
on the modem, the pc light goes on and off, and the data send and recieve lights are not on at all. the cable and power lights are on though. what does that mean?
i dont know how old the dell is, a couple of years maybe? i'm looking for the warranty now.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
my guess is now some problem with the modem, as when you try to view a page on the internet it should flash for send and receive indicating data transfer between you and the server. mabey some one else will chime in with more insight.

Edited by amw_drizz, 11 November 2008 - 06:31 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I don't understand what kind of ISP it is. They can easily ping your computer to see, if modem is working, or not.