Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internal Hard Drive stopped working

• Please log in to reply

zeckdude

zeckdude

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

One of my internal Hard Drives just stopped working. I could hear the fan shut off as I was copying a file to the internal drive. It said something about not being able to write to the drive, and then when I checked 'My Computer' it was not there anymore.

What are my options? Can I wait and hope it will come on again at some point, as happened with an external hard drive I once had? Is a File Recovery Service my only choice? Am I simply out of luck?

I hope you all can give me some sort of hopeful news. Thanks.

I am running Windows XP.

-Chris

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
You can test the drive for failure by running a free diagnostic utility from the drive-manufacturer's website.
Ascertain the brand-name of the drive then go to their website where there will be a link for "Support" or "Downloads".
The downloaded file creates a bootable floppy or CD with the testing utility on it.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Download the latest diagnostic software and utilities from the manufacturer of your hard drive(s).

Conner
Fujitsu
Hitachi
IBM
Maxtor
Quantum
Samsung
Seagate
Toshiba
Western Digital

http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

go here for the software