Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Upgrade!

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
So its been almost a year since I bought my 8800gt and so far, it has been great!
[bleep], even with the extreme bottlenecking, it can run FarCry2 at reasonable levels.

But now I finally have the cash(sort of..) to buy it a new Motherboard and Processor!

I was looking at these:
E8500
Q8200
Q6600

I was wondering which one of these would be best for gaming and Video Editing?
I know that more cores is better for video editing but I read on the reviews of the E8500, that it can reach high clocks. Which out due the Quads.
Need some help here :)

I also have no idea what motherboard to choose...
Just want something that can support SLI and good overclocking I guess...

I currently have 2gb ram(maybe 4gb soon), a 500w thermaltake PSU and a 500gb HD.
also my 8800gt.

Thanks!

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Are you intending to just use your current case? I'm afraid that won't work...Dell doesn't like people to upgrade their mobos. If a board you get will physically fit in the computer, most likely the front panel connectors (LED's, power switch, etc) won't work with the new board. I'm afraid you'll have to get a new case.

Are you intending to do more video editing or more gaming? As of right now, I don't think there's any games that support quad core chips. However, in a few years, that may well change.

What's your budget fora new mobo?

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Oh yea, i forgot to say that i was gonna get a new case.

Um, my budget for the entire thing is probably around 300-400.
probably not more.

I would probably do more gaming

Thanks

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Well, it's really a tossup between the dual and quad. The dual core would perform better for games now, but I would probably go with the quad if you want this machine to last a few years.

I would go with the Q6600 chip. It's the same price as the other one, and a bit faster (not to mention it's got a better rating! :))

I would take a look at this motherboard. It's got SLI capability, and looks to support some overclocking. Price - $119.99

Is this what you're looking for?

EDIT: Note that the board I mentioned is an ATX board, meaning you'll need to get an ATX case. A microATX case won't work.

Edited by jt1990, 13 November 2008 - 02:41 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Correction there jt1990, the motherboard you suggested only supports Crossfire. You can check the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P's specifications here.

I would suggest this motherboard as it supports SLI, its EVGA's 750i as it is very cheap however if you want a good performer then you ought to get EVGA's 780i or XFX's 780i board.

For the CPU, its a tossup between E8500 and Q6600, if you're doing heavy multitasking of multimedia applications then Q6600 is better however if you're doing more gaming, E8500 would benefit you more and you can also overclock this one far better than the Q6600.

Hope that helps.
Kamille

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Thanks.

Which one would be the most "future proof"

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
For motherboards, I'm not sure what future proofing you can do (without buying other hardware) because the new Intel processors will need a new socket (socket 1366). 790i motherboards requires you to have DDR3 RAM but you don't need this expensive thing.
I suggest you go with 750i motherboard as it has the features you need.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

As of right now, I don't think there's any games that support quad core chips.

This is not true. Many games take advantage of quad core CPUs. Some popular examples are Supreme Commander, Lost Planet, Hellgate: London, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, all Source-based games (Half-Life 2 series, CounterStrike: Source, etc.), all CryEngine2-based games (just Crysis right now), and all Unreal 3-based games (Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and many others).

Rocknrollcows,

If you want to future proof yourself, Intel's new CPU, the Core i7, is coming out on November 17th. I would suggest waiting for it, but at its release only the high-end x58 motherboard chipset will be available, and it will be very expensive. It will also only support DDR3 RAM, which is also expensive, so a Core i7 system is probably out of your price range. If you can save up and wait for mainstream motherboard chipsets to be released that support Core i7 and for DDR3 prices to come down, I'd recommend doing so. After all, you can already play Far Cry 2. :) If not, then kamille's plan sounds pretty good to me.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
[deleted]

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 19 November 2008 - 02:26 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Sorry, for the double post, but I've scraped my idea of SLI.
Seems like I won't be getting another card any time before the 8800gt becomes obsolete anyways...

How does this Mobo:
http://www.tigerdire...a...t=0&Recs=10
or
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128358
or
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1572 I know its crossfire. But I like the features.

I've decided on getting a E8500

thanks!

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 19 November 2008 - 04:23 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'd go with the Gigabyte, it looks real good for the price. :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Thanks!

does anyone know of any cheap(but not crappy) cases?

I don't want to spend too much on a case...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Plenty around, I like the Cooler Master 690, the Antec 300 to name a few - check them out.

Troy