Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox problem & Spam Filter Advice

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi Guys,
I have had amazing success :) from this forum so far so I thought I would ask for more help for this small problem.

In my previous job I installed a custom version of Firefox on my laptop - and now I have no use for it, very happy with IE7.

However, when I try to delete it from the Program list I get the following error:

0 : Uninstall log folder not found:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Mozilla/Deer park Alpha 2/1.5 (en-US)/Ininstall/Uninstall Log Folder.

BTW - the forward slashes are supposed to be back slashes - but the button on my keyboard gives totally different characters, maybe you have the fix for that as well!!

Finally the advice. I also used to work in Russia, and still get an enormous amount of Spam in Cyrillic. I am trying to find a Spam Program that will not allow Cyrillic e-mails to ever get to me - at the moment all I have found is programs that move the Cyrillic mails to another Spam folder, but then I still have the problem of sorting throught the Spam, most of which I would prefer not to see.

I was hopeful with SpamFighter - but their language recognition, despite the adverts saying it blocks by language simply moves it to the SpamFighter folder. Their support advised me they are working on a product that will do what I need.....

So, the bottom line is there a way to DELETE Cyrillic e-mails prior to them reaching me. Other Spam I would like to see first and choose whether to delete or not.

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,

Gregg

Advertisements

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Sorry guys re the e-mail, I am using Outlook Express 6.

Cheers.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'll take a stab at this. The uninstall program for Firefox probably got deleted or corrupted. You can use Windows Explorer and cruise to the Program Files folder for Firefox. Highlight the folder and hit Delete which will send it to the Recycle Bin. Or hit Shift + Delete which will delete it without putting the contents in the Recycle Bin. Then you can delete all shortcut icons from Start>Program>Firefox and any on Desktop by right-clicking and repeating delete operation of choice. The only remnants you'll have is going to be in your Registry Keys which normally do not present a problem. We don't recommend use of Registry Cleaners as we do wind up having to help people through their problems these cleaners create when something gets removed that shouldn't have been. Use at your discretion.

The keyboard "problem" depends on what keyboard layout you are using. This is changed through Control Panel>Regional and Language options>Keyboards and Languages tab in Vista. Forgot one for XP, but should be similar for changing keyboard layout.

You can set OE 6 up with email filters: Filter Mail from a Certain Sender Easily in Outlook Express Other SOURCE LINKS.

To delete these prior to getting to IE 6, I would go online to the mail account and set up their mail filters. Plus, you can start doing that for awhile and not get your mail with OE 6 and mark them as SPAM until they stop coming. Forgot to mention that there are free SpamFighter programs that work with OE 6.

Edited by Major Payne, 12 November 2008 - 09:55 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
As Major Payne said "The uninstall program for Firefox probably got deleted or corrupted."
Your best bet is to install fresh copy of Firefox over the top of existing one, and then try to uninstall it again.
If that doesn't work, try Recuva: http://www.recuva.com/