Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair XP Pro Problem password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Alibama

Alibama

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello.

I am trying to do a system repair for Windows XP pro and am having some problems.

I boot the system using the CD and hit R for repair then I get the following

In the recovery Console this is what it says.

1: C/Windows

Which windows installation would you like to log into?

To Cancel press enter +++ If I enter the number 1 and enter here it comes up and says
enter admin password. We don't have one. Never set one up. If you leave it blank it says wrong password.

Any ideas how to proceed from here?

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi alibama, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with password issues. Since we are unable to verify that this is a valid request, it is in our Terms of Use that we can't assist with password issues.

If you have lost or forgotten your password for logging in to a computer running the Windows XP operating system, there are a few different options:

If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, you can use that disk to reset the password on your account. For more information on how to create and use password reset disks go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP

If you don't have a password reset disk, the other option is to log on as the Administrator (or to have the person who is the machine's Administrator log on) and change the password for your user account. For information on how to do this go to the following Mircosoft article:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q321305

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

Alibama

Alibama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright thanks so much. It really doesn't make any sense since i go in to the bios it says no password was ever set up. The person who set the computer up is still here but says he didn't set one so has no clue how to fix it.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
The password the recovery console asks for is the Administrator password that was setup when Windows was installed, not a BIOS password.

Unfortunately, we'll be unable to assist you further with this issue. If you have any questions about our password policy, feel free to contact an administrator or moderator of this board.

Alibama

Alibama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Since no further help can be offered here, this topic is closed.