Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

nandihno

nandihno

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a compaq presario and it stop working on saturday. My computer froze on me, so i restarted it manually. when i turned it back on it didn't take me to the user login screen. it said windows wasn't working properly. I ran a system diagnostics and it said

Smart short self test failed..........error code HD521-2W

I tried it again on sunday and it said "NTLDR" is missing

After that i tried creating NTLDR boot disk using a usb. After i followed all the directions( http://tinyempire.co...rismissing.htm)
I got a message saying "windows cannot start because file <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll was missing or corrupt

How do I fixed this problem
I dont have the xp cd or a recovery disk

My friend told me i had to get a new harddrive. Is that true. If so is there a way to copy all my stuff i have in my harddrive. How much does it cost to have someone fix this problem

Edited by nandihno, 12 November 2008 - 12:04 PM.

Advertisements

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi nandihno,

I hope you are doing well. Well since you don't have a windows disk or recovery disk you may want to borrow one. Do you know anyone that has a Windows Disk? Just make sure it is the same version of Windows you have. Also just do a repair to repair any missing or corrupted files. Here is a link on how to do a repair Windows.

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Ignore Post

Edited by heat123, 12 November 2008 - 08:01 PM.