Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer take 2 mins to start, then is fine

• Please log in to reply

shores

shores

• Pip
  • 3 posts
first, i have a hard time believeing there are folks out there willing to look at my problem, for free. thanks

Internet Explorer take 2 mins to start, then is fine. even using a black page as a home page, when i start IE, it takes 2 mins or more to load the page and be able to response to commends. The stop button does not work in those 2 mins and everything else grinds to a stop on my computer. this is the same no matter where i connect to the internet. office, home, free wi-fi.

also, if i open a new tab in IE, it takes 2 mins to open. even if the orginal window has been working fine.

i work-around it by just keeping a windows open with explorer running, but i want to fix this.

this is a recent problem, but i have not done anything like new drivers or updates. i have looked at all the add-ons in IE and disable the ones i think don't belong, but i really do not know.

i have completed all the steps in "before you post". Norton 360 is my anti-virus software. i did a search for a topic like this, but no one had the 'first time it starts' problem that i have.

thanks again.

Lee

here is my hyjack log

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hi there, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please download and run Ccleaner and let it clean your temporary files. See if that helps any, and then post back and let me know what the results were. :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi shores,

I would try resetting IE settings

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When IE finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer. The changes take effect the next time that you open it.

I also heard of Google toolbar sometimes causing a delay like you described, so if you are using it you might try uninstalling it, to see if that makes a difference. If no change and you like using it, you can always put it back.

shores

shores

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
JT1990, thanks for the fast reply. I ran CCleaner and rebooted. no improvement. :)

i am going to try Bhowett's suggestion next, to reset IE next.

Shores

shores

shores

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks BHowett, resetting IE worked. thanks!

the only real difference i can see in my IE now is the disabled Add-ons or a new installation of google toolbar. The only add-ons enabled were

AcroIEToolbar Helper Class
Adoble PDF
Adobe PDF Reader Link Help
Google
Google toolbar Helper
Shockwave Flash Object
Sun Java Console

I re-installed the Google add-ons and it still works well.

I noticed the AcroIEToolbar Helper Class and Adoble PDF add-ons do not list a publisher and that got me thinking, in general, do 'good' add-on list publishers and 'malware' add-on not?

thanks again!!!!!

shores

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hello again,

Your very welcome, AcroIEToolbar Helper Class and Adoble PDF add-ons are legit.

Glad you got it sorted :)