Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU temps?

• Please log in to reply

huFFy

huFFy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey guys i just finished building my new computer and installing all the updates.... Now i have a question about the CPU temps.

I have downloaded "PC Wizard 2008" to help me with PC information and my E8500 CPU normally runs at 34 c without overclocking and it also shows the temp of core #1 and core #2 which idle around 45-55c.

When i run COD 5 with max settings my cpu temp goes up to about 40c but the cores shoot up to around 65-90c... is this normal?? or dangerous? What is the difference between CPU temp and the Core CPU temps and what should the average temps be?

BTW im using the stock heat sink fan that came with it :)

THANKS!!!

Edited by huFFy, 12 November 2008 - 08:55 PM.

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

What is the difference between CPU temp and the Core CPU temps?

No idea.

what should the average temps be?

Somewhere in the range of 30 - 40 is ideal, 40 - 50c would be considered "adequate", and 50 - 60c is pushing it a bit.

The big IF here is how reliable are those readings? Which temp sensor are you using? I have never really trusted an onboard temp sensor. They have usually been inaccurate for me.

Assuming the temp sensors are trustworthy though, let me say this. I am not an expert with the E8500 (or it's safe running temps), so I hope someone else with more experience with this type of core processing system will give their advice. That being said, my opinion is that 65c is considered redlining a processor and 90c is just cooking your processor :). I would find some way to get those temps down FAST!. Get an after market CPU cooler if you have to. If you can swing it, try not to play the games that bring the temps up until you get to the bottom of this.

Sorry I can't be much more help than that. :)

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Somewhere in the range of 30 - 40 is ideal, 40 - 50c would be considered "adequate", and 50 - 60c is pushing it a bit.

I believe that running at higher temperatures reduces the effectiveness of the CPU. So that means even if you don't overheat, you are not getting everything out of the CPU that you can be. Also, 105c is the maximum temperature for that CPU, so I would make sure to try to stay a decent ways under that. I would suggest investing $30 ~ $40 on an aftermarket heatsink.

huFFy

huFFy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm using coretemp it's a program that tells me the CPU of the temps...

Alright i just think this sucks im not even ocing it yet and its already running that hot. A new heatsink fan better do the trick.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

I'm using coretemp it's a program that tells me the CPU of the temps...

Alright i just think this sucks im not even ocing it yet and its already running that hot. A new heatsink fan better do the trick.

You DID apply thermal paste between CPU and heatsink yes?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

You DID apply thermal paste between CPU and heatsink yes?

I'd be shocked if he didn't. I don't think a CPU will even make it to the O/S without some thermal paste. He says it runs at 34c idle. There must be paste in there.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

BTW im using the stock heat sink fan that came with it

Stock heatsink = preapplied thermal paste

As long as you get a good heatsink, it should do wonders. My sig has a pretty good one (the retention bracket is a MUST), and combine it with the thermal paste in my sig also.

huFFy

huFFy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes i applied the paste... Do you guys think any of my bios voltage settings would have something to do with it??

BTW i plan to buy a decent heatsink from newegg $20-$50 if anyone wants to link me to a decent one that would be great :)

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
We need to know what motherboard you have in order to know what heatsinks you can run... specifically, we need to know if you have mounting holes surrounding your CPU socket.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Heatsink 1: $31.99 with $10 Mail in Rebate and Free Shipping
Heatsink 1 - Bracket: $8.49 with Free Shipping
or
Heatsink 2: $26.99 with Free Shipping

and

Thermal Paste: $6.99 plus Shipping

Heatsink 1 is a pain to get on (retention bracket is a must), and is huge, so you may have some difficulty with it getting in the way with certain things like the 4 pin power input on the motherboard. To make up for this, it is an excellent cooler from what I have experienced with it.

Heatsink 2 would probably be a lot easier to install, and should cool your CPU efficiently, but not QUITE as well as heatsink 1.

Edit

We need to know what motherboard you have in order to know what heatsinks you can run... specifically, we need to know if you have mounting holes surrounding your CPU socket.

E8500 CPU

This is an Intel Core 2 Duo, so it uses the socket type LGA 775.

Edited by Granz00, 14 November 2008 - 08:30 AM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

E8500 CPU

This is an Intel Core 2 Duo, so it uses the socket type LGA 775.

Hmmm, you're right. For some reason I thought different motherboards with the same socket can have different mounting holes surrounding it. My mistake. :)

Edited by UV_Power, 14 November 2008 - 11:09 AM.