Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WindowsXP machine randomly loses connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Athlon64

Athlon64

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've been having this problem since I first started using Windows XP, it's happened on dial up, cable, and my network. It strikes at random, but usually after returning from an idle state. What happens is the connection to the internet is active, but browsers and programs refuse to connect, pings to outside hosts are not able to get through either. The connection won't come back until I either reboot or log off completely and log back on. Sometimes it only works if I restart. I've tried using the Winsockxpfix tool with no luck. I just formatted this machine and still the problem is back. Now this machine even refuses to connect to my LAN, it sees itself in "My Network Places" but will not show any of the other machines, and when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" the network places windows will freeze and eventually say "xxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." I'm usually really good with computers, but I couldn't figure this one out, I troubleshot everything I can think of. I don't understand, it worked fine before??? Help me please, if you can. :tazz:

P.S. - Ive tried setting my own IP for the network as well as running "Network Setup Wiz" prob hundreds of times.

Edited by Athlon64, 03 May 2005 - 07:11 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Many people have had this/ a similar issue, due to the Windows 2000/XP new 'Media Sense' feature. This site may be of some help to you: http://www.michna.co...xMediaSense.htm
If that site did not solve your problem, then try running the following Microsoft patch(KB884020) - that is, if you have SP2 installed.
http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

xxsiriusxburnxx

xxsiriusxburnxx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same sort of problem except its only on my PC, it use to be a bit worse, I have tried it on 2 of the same network everywhere routers(hardwire), I just randomly lose connection to the internet either I cant connect to a web page or sometimes my aim shuts off other times my aim will stay on as well as i cant get to any internet pages but my azurues bittorrent continues to d/l? This baffles me? I work at Adelphia as a lvl 1 technical engineer(High Speed Inet Tech support) but to me it has nothing to do with the internet connection and all to do with the pc. I would lose browser or (http) connection but my room mate will be surfing just fine, ive had this problem with win xp xpsp1 and xpsp2? sometimes a release renew of the ip works but other times i must restart my entier computer to get connection. ive reformatted and still ahve the problem, but my main problem for reformatting was actually a continous 50% svchost process the dll causing this was rpct4.dll part of the rpc call module, i thought that had something to do with it but svchost problem fixed and still the loss of the internet. sound familiar, any ideas?

HackerAdam

HackerAdam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Try unchecking the "Allow computer to turn of this device to save power" box in the NIC properties window under the power management tab. Worked for me. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
This also happened to me the other day, I WAS running Computer Associates EZ Armor, but now since it has corrupted on me so many times I have scrapped that. Anyways, I woke up one morning and my EZ Firewall said it couldn't start the firewall service and asked if I would like to try again, naturally I said yes. No go didn't work. So I disabled the firewall completely and started surfing the net. Now consistently after about 5 minutes, I would lose my http connection. I could ping outside public addresses, and gmail notifier could even check my mail, I could chat, but no web pages with firefox or IE. Strange I thought so I rebooted many times only to find the same exact thing. So then I uninstalled EZ Firewall and I am now back in business. Needless to say I have removed the whole entire EZ Armor Suite from my system. I used to say good things about it, but not anymore... By the way the EZ Firewall is just "ZoneAlarm" with a different skin. Hope this may help someone.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: