Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

beeping on desktop

• Please log in to reply

buuddy

buuddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, this is all new.

Pretty much explained in topic description. For some reason the right hand side of the task bar where it has the icons of the time, Panda (my security system) calculator, etc. beeps.

It is as if it is resetting all the time and when it does this it beeps.

Bar goes from left to right START blue space LIST OF FUNCTIONS (as stated above) . The point where blue bar ends and icons of functions begins moves to the left (as if resetting) and then beeps.

Don't know how us to decribe. How do I get rid of.

thanx

stephen

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I can't find anything in Windows Accessibility Options (for people with poor vision) that would cause this beeping in connection with system tray icon activity. The system tray 'moving' or 'resetting' on the left where the arrow-head is, that's normal behaviour when you set Windows to "hide" icons that are 'inactive'. They will keep re-appearing when they become active and that's also normal.

You can change that setting so that all the system tray icons are visible all the time, regardless of whether thay are active or not. That's the setting I prefer since you will always know if there's a problem which has stopped your firewall or antivirus from loading (Windows Security Centre can't be trusted to warn you because it often forces you to disable the warnings if it's incompatible with your security software).

To stop the system tray icons from hiding (which hopefully will stop the beep) do this:

1. Right-click the start button, choose 'Properties'.

2. Click 'Taskbar' tab.

3. UN-tick the option for "Hide Inactive Icons" (at the bottom of dialogue box)

4. Click 'OK' to save new setting.

The arrowhead on the taskbar will have gone, and hopefully so will the beep.

If not, it may be malware so please post again.

buuddy

buuddy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It was unclicked. So I clicked it to see if that would stop it. No Go. May not have explained well. The beeping indicates when the task bar pulsates. (area where dark blue on left meets the light blue on right (with icons). Dark blue moves about 1/8 inch to the right (beeps) and then resets. Maybe if I video with my digital camera but not sure how to plug in to this website.