Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive + Music

• Please log in to reply

carly14

carly14

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tons of music on my computer and am looking into buying an external hard drive to transfer it too.
Do they work well with laptops and what am I looking for in one when I go to buy it?

about 40gb

Edited by carly14, 13 November 2008 - 02:18 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
How much music is "tons?" 10GB? 100GB? etc.

A USB drive should work with a laptop, the catch is, you have to have the drive plugged in to play anything. Also, the location of your music will have changed, so you will most likely have to rebuild your library, depending on what player you use. In iTunes you can copy the library, and then just point the program toward the new location.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Do they work well with laptops and what am I looking for in one when I go to buy it?

USB drives work the same no matter what you plug them into...

for playing music you want to look for the fastest drive available in your price range and you want to make sure that it's got it's own external power source (not just usb power)