Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply

plucker

plucker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently installed Windows Defender on my computer and uninstalled it a few days later, however after uninstalling (by Add/Remove Programs), it left a folder in this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Results

I was running AVG Free Edition and noticed that it was spending a heck of a lot of time (around 10 hours) scanning this directory for a program I thought I had uninstalled. I checked the size of the above folder and it's over 800 MB in size! I am pretty sure it is larger than that but it was taking Windows a lot of time to calculate the exact size so I cancelled it.

Can someone tell me what is in this folder? Is this normal? Is it safe to delete?

Edited by plucker, 13 November 2008 - 02:35 PM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I don't run Defender, but my guess is that it kept the history of everything it had scanned. If you no longer have the program, I can't see that deleting this would cause a problem. You could also exclude it from AVG's scans.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Even if you where using Windows Defender you could safely delete that folder.
It keeps a history of scan results and deleted files.

plucker

plucker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm deleting it now but it won't delete! It says it's deleting it, but the progress bar to the recycle bin doesn't show any progress! Any ideas?

plucker

plucker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm trying to re-install Windows Defender in order to try to uninstall it again but the installation program freezes too. I can't believe how ironic this is...this program is acting like malware on my computer!