Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing program(s) in Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't remember if I posted a similar question, so here it is. I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS Desktop Edition on an older computer. Kept Windows XP Pro on it so that I can either boot in Windows or Ubuntu when prompted to. Anyway, I downloaded the program KMyMoney to try out. My question is:

How do I install it?

I can't figure it out for the life of me. Ubuntu installed with no problem and I can surf the web, check my mail, etc. I hope that I don't have to do any kind of programming because I have no knowledge of that. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
In Ubuntu/Debian Linux programs are installed via debian packages. These packages have a .deb extension and install by double clicking just like in Windows.

99% of the time you will not download and install a program from browsing the internet like you would in Windows. In Ubuntu everything you need is located in the Synaptic Package Manager. To get to it go to Setting -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manger

From there you can search for kmymoney. I have already ran the search and the package name is: kmymoney2. Just right click and select "install". Then click "apply".

The Synaptic Package Manager will download the program for you and install it.

Some extra reading: https://help.ubuntu....y/SynapticHowto.

Don't be overwhelmed with that article, it contains a lot more information than you need.

Good luck!

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you Titan. I followed the instructions that you gave me and I was able to install the program. I know I wouldn't have figured it out on my own. I visited the web site that you posted in your reply and made a printout of it to read. So far, what I've seen and tried in Linux, I starting to like this Operating System. It'll take me quite awhile to really learn the ins & outs of it. Linux seems like a very good system. Again, thank you for your help.

Andrew

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Linux is a very nice OS. Many people are discouraged to find out that they have to more or less "relearn" how to use a computer. It is a rewarding experience for those who stick with it.

There used to be a widely referenced article titled "How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu". However, the domain that hosted the article no longer exists. You may want to search for it in a week or two to see if it exists once again.