Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jump Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

VMG348

VMG348

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just bought a new 16gb jumpdrive on ebay and I just connected it to a computer at school but everytime I create a folder in the jump drive it seems to either create or transfer some type of files into it. The files have some wierd U-U- name on them. When you try to delete it says unable to because of missing destination. the only way I can delete the fold is if I run "error-checking" which makes the folder into a unrecognizable file and allws me to delete.

Jump Drive information:
USB 2.0
File system:FAT32
Manufacturer: Standard Disk Drive
Driver version: 5.1.2535.0
Digital signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher
Driver provider: Microsoft

I don't know what to do, any suggestions?

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
It will most likely be a "U3" type which allows you to run your programs on a different PC without having to install them.
These work a little differently to standard jump/flash drives which are for basic use as file storage/transfer.

The U3 part of the jump drive is on a separate partition, and you'll know if it's a jump drive because when you plug it in to a PC
it's get's two drive-letters assigned to it (one of them is labelled as a cd-rom drive) instead of the usual one. Also the U3 "LaunchPad"
pops up.

If you find all this annoying and just want to use it like a standard flash-drive for file copying & transfer, you can remove the U3 partition
with the official removal utility from here: http://u3.com/uninstall/

After removing the U3 partition you may want to format the jump drive just for good measure. You can do that with Windows.
Right-click it's drive-letter-->Format.

If yours is not a U3 jump-drive, my apologies for wasting your time. Please continue the thread.

VMG348

VMG348

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No that didn't work. Everytime I connect to a different computer all my files become corrupt and a new file replaces them all with 0 space used labled "U-U-" PLus does not allow you to erase unless I do the system error check in the property tools manu. This makes me erase all the files and all data is lost. Please help.