Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Dell Inspiron E1505
Windows XP sp2, Media edition

I do not have MediaDirect installed. My grandson pushed the MediaDirect button and
NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart
comes up. Pressing any key brings up the same thing. I can't start in Safe Mode - no matter what I do I get the same thing.
Any suggestions to get the machine back to normal?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type each of the following, hitting enter after each line:
  • attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
  • del c:\boot.ini
  • bootcfg /rebuild
  • fixboot
Now type Exit and take your XP CD out. Your computer will reboot itself. Post back how things are going.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If you do not have a valid XP disc then follow these instructions to make a recovery console disc.
Here is a link that you can download the recovery console to your desktop.
And here is a link that tells you how to make the disc.
This is used to repair your computer, using the proper utilitys.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I only have a restore disk that came with the computer. I take it there is no way to use it except to do a restore which I don't want to do?

Will Memtest86+ do what is required, or is it just an example? If just an example, how do I get the .iso I need? And can I do the burning on another computer? Remember the only thing I can get on the machine in question is

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

Thanks for your interest and help.

BryanW

BryanW

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Most restore disks do just that.

Memtest86 is a utility to test your memory. NTLDR is most likely not a bad memory issue.

Have you tried what hfcg has recommended? You can download the rc.iso and burn it with another computer.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This issue has nothing to do with your RAM.
Please follow the steps to create a recovery console disc so that you can follow the directions in my first post.
This is a needed part of the boot process, with out it the computer can not load Windows.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I can't try hfcg's recommendation - unless I can use the restore disk.

Once I have the rc.iso on a disk, what then? I've never done any of this type thing so I'm not sure of what to do.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
After you make the recovery console disc, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type each of the following, hitting enter after each line:
  • attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
  • del c:\boot.ini
  • bootcfg /rebuild
  • fixboot
Now type Exit and take your XP CD out. Your computer will reboot itself. Post back how things are going.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks. I probably won't be able to do any thing till tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I thought I wouldn't be able to get to it till tomorrow, but I was able to work on it this afternoon.
I tried 5 disks and they all came out blank. I used BurnCDCC, and Roxio which I have and use - results the same for both. They both go through the process of writing, but nothing.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Did you slide the bar to the left to slow down the burn process?
Did you check the BIOS for the boot order to be set to CD/DVD?
Do you know how to enter the BIOS set up?

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Following your suggestion to change the boot order, the machine went to Windows instead of the BIOS. So I went to a restore point to before the problem happened and now it is all working as it should.
I thank you for your help and interest. It didn't work the way you planned, but it worked.

yalesface

yalesface

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I have been having the same problem as this guy's been having. i took your advice and used the windows XP installation disk that came with my computer. I pressed F12, booted from the CD, entered Recovery mode and then it never gave me a time to press 1. It gave me something that looks like this, "C:\>". I typed in FIXBOOT and it told me that the target partition is C:. Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C:? I didn't follow your directions exactly, so I don't want to continue fumbling through the dark. Are all of my files going to be saved after I do what you recommend or will this cause my hard drive to be wiped?