Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apart from adobe flash, ,any other definate no, no`s for Vista x64 ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Have finally built my new quad core system and installed vista premium x64 bit mainly to take advantage of my 4gb of ram ,which i will very shortly upping to 6 or 8gb.

So far, i have been completly delighted not just with the quality of my new build, but also the very noticable extra ram capability.

Unfortunatly, i have discovered what appears to be a long term problem with 64 bit operating systems.
Adobe flash player wont install and therefore, i cant see parts of a lot of web pages, but obviously,a lot a flash intensive sites that use flash media players etc, , utube being one of note.
I am a musician and have my own web page hosted by soundclick where i upload my songs and music. Unfortunatly, there are now whole peices of my page blocked out, and the media player is no longer there :) :wave: :help:

According to Adobe, they are presently working towards full x64 support in vista 64bit enviroments, , but this is going to be a very long wait after doing some research. Its been a problem from long ago for xp x64 users and still hasnt been fixed, and it also looks bad for xp 64 bit users in that, any work adobe are doing to solve this problem will only be directed at vista 64 bit users. Another back hander between microsoft and adobe me thinks ! :)
They do however state that flash player will run in a 64bit enviroment so long as you are running 32 bit internet explorer.
My system is running 64bit explorer and i dont know how to revert back to 32bit explorer anyway , , sounds like an awfull lot of hasle in any case.

My sympathies really go out to all the professional people out there that have paid thousands for adobe software that is essential for their work, only to find out that they cant go near 64bit operating systems and therefore unable to take advantage of the extra ram support that 64bit os provides.

But, , , Getting to the point of my post , ,

Are there any more suprises out there for me to run into with my vista x64 ? ? ?

Any other well known ,major problems like the flash player been noted ? ?

So far, all my hardware is running fine and 90% of my software as well , , ( if only 32 bit, most of it runs in a 64bit enviroment quite well ) so i am overall very pleased with moving over to x64, , but very upset that i cant even go to my own webpage to listen to my songs.

Looking forward to any more information, ,
Many thanks, , kev

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Have you considered using an alternative 32-bit web browser such as Firefox (www.firefox.com) or Opera (www.opera.com)?

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I have considered going over to a none microsoft browser for a while now, , but that old fear of the unknown keeps rearing its ugly head each time i consider moving. Better the devil you know and all that !

I might install one of the 3rd party browsers on my laptop for a little while and see how it pans out before making a decision on installing it on my desktop. Have to do a bit more research first though to sort out the pros and cons.
Eveyone these days seems to have their own favorite alternative, and each seems to have thier faults frome what i have been told, , will have to ask around a little more i think.

Still waiting to hear if there are any more well known issues with 64bit explorer as well though, , surely a HUGE company like ADOBE can get their act together and sort this out. Its only a jump from 32 to 64 for gods sake, , there is always talk about 128 and 256 bit systems in the pipeline in the future, (or thats what they are researching and targetting ), so god knows how long it will take the likes of adobe to get themselves ahead of the game, , or they will end up falling by the wayside as the competition rushes by. They havent got any competition at the moment, but we all know how fast things change in the world of computing these days, so nothing is out of the question !

Thanks for your suggestion though, i will give it some more thought.
Cheers, , kev