Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive Not Recognizing Blanks

• Please log in to reply

AccioNaveed

AccioNaveed

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525.
Drive = hl dt st dvd gsa t21n
Running Vista Ultimate.
My drive reads dvds and cds just fine, and I have used it to burn dvds and cds in the past numerous times successfully.
Recently, it has stopped recognizing blank discs.
Anyone know if this is a Windows Update problem??
Can't be the lens, considering it reads other discs.
Can't be the firmware considering it's up-to-date.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

EDIT:: DVD+RWs work, DVD-Rs and CD-Rs do not.

Edited by AccioNaveed, 15 November 2008 - 08:59 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Optical drives use two different lasers, one for reading, one for writing, but why it'd see +RW, but not others??
From my experience, when some features of optical drive stop working, the drive is ready to go south.
I don't even ask how old the drive is, because for some reason, with optical drives, it really doesn't matter. Some will work for years, some will die in a matter of months. I still have working CD ROM on 10 years old Win 98 computer, CD RW, and DVD ROM on 9 years old Win 2000, but DVD RW on my Vista was 11 months old when it went south....and it started with....not reading blank disks :)

AccioNaveed

AccioNaveed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I appreciate the response.
This definitely helps, however; I'm not that concerned considering it's on warranty for three years.
It's been about 10 months though since I've bought this computer.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'm aware, that Dell's support is not the easiest one to deal with, but you may call them, and ask, if they'd be willing to send you just DVD drive replacement.