Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive will not play (most) recorded discs

• Please log in to reply

Ibicycle

Ibicycle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Compaq Presario V5204 laptop with a Phillips SCB5265 CDRW/DVD that won't read most recorded DVD's, either movie or data. Purchased movies and some recorded movies play fine. The day I brought it home from Best Buy it had this problem and HP support connected remotely to the computer and did something. The guy didn't tell me what he had done. After he did... whatever it worked fine on all disks until I recently reformatted the laptop and back to the same problem. Of course it is out of warranty, now and when I chatted with HP support the tech had me uninstall and reinstall the drive and she acted like she had no further possible solutions.
I know it can be fixed, because it has been done. I just have no clue. Any ideas?
I have removed upper and lower filters.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
have you checked for a patch on their website? Since the "fix" disappeared after reformatting that would be my guess....

Ibicycle

Ibicycle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have looked for patches and updates on the hp website and downloaded anything that looks even close to what I might need. Still no luck. I have searched for anything related to the Phillips drive on the internet and found nothing useful. I agree there has to be something like a patch out there. seems like there are a lot more patches hidden on HP's site that you can't get to without knowing the exact link. Or at least I have no luck finding them.
I got an email from HP inviting me to try the chat thing again if I am still having problems and I may try that when I have an hour to spend waiting for reply.

Edited by Ibicycle, 18 November 2008 - 12:16 PM.