Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install spore

• Please log in to reply

chargurl

chargurl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i went out and bought spore, but when i put it in my computer nothing happened. i stuck it in both drives, still nothing. the i went to my computer and tried to select the drives but they just said "please insert a disk". all my other games seem to work fine though. please help me!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Spore seems to have some pretty stringent system requirements especially when it comes to the video card.

Are you sure your system meets these specs?

Murray

Candu

Candu

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I had a similar problem when installing sopre, it required me to update drivers to the very latest released by Nvidia

Have you had anyo other copies of spore installed on that machine (or the creature creator) before?

cyclic

cyclic

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
From the 'readme' in Spores installation folder the required specs are
Spore requires at least the following:

FOR WINDOWS XP
* 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* 512 MB RAM
* A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
* The latest version of DirectX 9.0c
* Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1
* At least 4 GB of hard drive space, with at least 1 GB
additional space for creations

Does you machine meet with these ?
In the event there was not sufficient support you would get an error message telling you just what was lacking.
If there is no reponse from the drives or system it would seem likely you have a bad disc, or your DVD drive itself is having problems maybe with the DRM. It seems odd that 2 DVD drives should just seize up.

chargurl

chargurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ya i checked the specs and i have them all. the problem is that the computer won't even aknollege its in there. it doesn't say "not enough memory" or anything. it acts like there's nothing inside. i did have the trial creature creator on my machine, but i uninstalled it before i tried to install this

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
are you having any other issues reading other dvd's or cd's? Does the system at least change the cd icon after the game is inserted? How old are the dvd/cd drives in your system?

NegaNova

NegaNova

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I'm also having this problem. It's like, the computer meets all Spore requirements, but it seems to ignore that the CD has been inserted. D Drive appears empty on screen as well.

Question: The requirement says Windows Service Pack 1. Does that mean 1 and greater? Because I have service pack 2.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Are you connected to the internet? Spore's DRM system, SecuROM (which violates US law and is the subject of numerous lawsuits against EA), requires you to be connected to the internet to install the game. You probably weren't aware of this, as nowhere on the box, the manual, or even the EULA does it state that SecuROM is included on the disk. SecuROM is also notorious for rendering DVD drives useless, either permanently, or as long as a disk image emulator is present on the system. If you have a disk image emulator, such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%, installed, you should try uninstalling it and see if that helps. Personally, I would return the game and wait until EA is forced to remove the DRM, either from a court decision or in reaction to poor sales.

NegaNova - Yes, it means Service Pack 1 or higher.

NegaNova

NegaNova

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ah, I figured it out. APPARENTLY, you need a DVD-compatible drive in order to read the disc. I think that's retarded though because I meet all the requirements, just don't have a DVD-player on the computer.