Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb error

• Please log in to reply

hamad

hamad

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi friends !

I have a problem in my Flash Disk. When I plug it in the USB port, my PC detects it and I can see removable disk (G:) in My Computer. When I double click and open the disk, I can open it normally. BUT...

1. When I try to delete any file from Flash Disk, I can't delete any file. I receive the following error message...

Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete <filename>: The disk is write-protected.
Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

2. When I try to copy a file from Hard Disk to Flash Disk, I can't copy. I receive the following error message...

Error Copying File or Folder
Cannot Copy <filename>: The disk is write-protected.
Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

3. When I try to format the disk from Windows Graphical Mode by right click--->Format, I receive the message...

The disk is write-protected.

4. When I use Command Prompt and give this command ---->Format G:, I receive the following message...

Insert new disk for drive G:
and press ENTER when ready...
(when I press ENTER, I receive the second message...)
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Verifying 491M.
Cannot format. The volume is write-protected.

5. When I scanned the Flash Disk with Kaspersky 6.0, it detected some viruses and threats, and suggested me to delete the files. When I chose the option to delete them, Kaspersky couldn't delete them and gave the following message...

The Volume is write-protected.

Note that: I don't think that the Flash Disk is corrupted because it is detected by the OS and showing 491 MB capacity. The file system on Flash Disk is also identified by OS as FAT32. When I copy one file From Flash Disk--->To Hard Disk, I can copy it. So I am quite sure that Flash is OK.

Also Note that I have not protected my Flash Disk by any Locking Utility. Previously I was able to open it and to copy/delete files on it

Please help me in this regard. Waiting for your valuable suggestion...
hamad

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G hamad

Can you test the flash drive in another computer? This would help us to narrow down whether the problem is with the flash drive or your PC.

hamad

hamad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have checked it on another pc it is working fine

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. In that case, can you do the following please:

1) Go to Start -> Run and type regedit (click OK)

2) In the left hand pane of regedit, navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

In the Control branch, look for sub-branch called StorageDevicePolicies

3) If you don't have an entry called StorageDevicePolicies, then just close regedit & let me know.
If you DO have an entry called StorageDevicePolicies then click on it once to select it & make a note of what it says in the right hand pane of regedit and then let me know.

Sebutana

Sebutana

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I dont know if the problem was solved, but I have a Axiz 4 GB - ED174096SB/2 with the same problem. I did not find the value on the registry that you reffered to, and i also tried the following:

1. Formatting using command prompt and in safe mode
2. Downloading and running most if not all the utilities here: ftp://ftp.axiz.co.za/technical
3. Using DSKCHK in command prompt

Nothing worked