Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse and Keyboard not working anymore

• Please log in to reply

dcmoney

dcmoney

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey guys, so I have a Vaio PCG k-27 laptop, running XP and I screwed it up so I cant use my mouse or keyboard any more or a mouse hooked up to the usb. It all started when my CD drives stop being recognized, the one in my computer and an external one. When trying to update/ troubleshoot them in Device Manager, the error is: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) i get this message or something like it.
I went online to see how to fix this and it said to go to the registry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, and delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters.
There were a bunch of the "4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318" folders so i deleted all of the upperfilter keys in the folders. Then I restarted my computer and now the keyboard doesnt work or the mouse pad and usb mouse. I can only logon because my fingerprint scanner still works, but cant really do anything else.

*I also didn't save a system restore point before I did this...
So if anyone can help me get my mouse and keyboard workin again it would be appreciated,
Thanks
Dustin

Edited by dcmoney, 17 November 2008 - 05:00 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi dcmoney!

It looks like we may be in way over our head. You did some pretty intense registry editing, and we have no way of knowing what exactly you deleted. You should have only deleted one or two keys from only one folder, but you in fact deleted multiple keys from multiple folders, no doubt causing this issue.

If you used the instructions from Microsoft, you should have backed up the registry as clearly instructed in the article. Simply restore the registry and you'll be good to go.

If you did not perform any backup before deleting every UpperFilter you could find, and since your control surfaces aren't working, you'll need to perform a repair installation of Windows XP to repair the registry back to where it should be. This will allow you to get into Windows, back up your data, and perform a full reinstallation of Windows.

Do you have a Windows XP CD we can use to perform the repair installation of Windows?

Just for emphasis, I'm going to quote the Microsoft KB Article 314060.

This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Please report back if you can find a Windows XP CD.

dcmoney

dcmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Unfortunately I dont have an XP CD since my laptop didnt come with one when i bought it and it was already installed. I also didn't back up the registry either, so ill try and find a CD from one of my friends i guess.

Vaio has a Recovery wizard installed on the HD and it says I can recover the operating system and pre-installed software programs... i guess i can get to it using the f10 menu on start up.

If you have any suggestions let me know,
Thanks

Edited by dcmoney, 19 November 2008 - 06:09 PM.

dcmoney

dcmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Anyone have any suggestions??

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
At this point, since you don't have a Windows XP CD, you can either contact Sony to purchase one, or use the recovery feature to restore the computer back to the way it was when it left the factory.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Just an FYI that there is only one HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Registry key in the registry. The other ones that you see , if you look closely sequence from there, such as 4D36E966, 4D36E967, 4D36E968